1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Speaker Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:12 AM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Mounting

I looked through some of the forum threads a saw that the stock speakers for the rear in regular cab are 5x7. Was wonderin if i could put6x9s in the same place without cuttin any of the metal?Could i just drill a little hole and use self taping screws to install them

Old 11-13-2011, 02:08 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

I've fit 6x9s into 5x7 holes on various vehicles without cutting anything. Sometimes it dropped right in, sometimes it would rest on the lip of the hole then pop in once I started screwing it in. Pretty sure I used self tapping screws 99% of the time too. But yeah, may need to grind the inside of the hole a little. May depend on speaker brand? IIRC some people did have to do a little grinding or cutting on their trucks but worth a try to just see how it goes without doing either.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:43 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

Im wantin to get Kickers for the rear because they still have the stockers in them. I have a new radio and speakers in the front and thought it is time to get new ones in the rear

Quick Reply: Speaker Mounting