1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Where to find Original 'OE' Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 AM
jaj1ie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find Original 'OE' Parts?

I just picked up an old Dakota and Im about to do a major tune up. Looking for advice on where to find parts for my new-to-me first generation Dakota. This board has been very helpful so far.

I dont have a manual but I prefer to get everything exactly as the book calls it or maybe some good aftermarket options

Any recommendations about the following parts and information about where to find them is much appreciated:

1. Spark plugs/wires, Cap + Rotor

2. Fuel, Oil, Air filters.

3. Transmission fluid, Front/Rear Diff fluids, Power steering Fluids, Engine oil.

4. Wheel bearings

5. Steering rack bushings

J

Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For OEM the best place is your local Dodge dealership parts department.

Or www.dodgeparts.com or http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/spl...?siteid=214583

Most autoparts store will carry all that you listed and for 1/3 the price of Mopar.
Napa is trusted for quality parts. www.napaonline.com

Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
kahanabob
Captain

what you can't get from the dealer get at Napa.........especially anything electrical!!
Always try to get sensors from the dealer...
all the stuff you listed Napa is fine

Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 PM
jaj1ie

Thanks for the help.. Liking how active this board is.

Any preference for fluids in diff/gearbox,,engine? The mopar 80/90 is expensive.

Also what should I do about a loose stearing wheel ? ? ..thinking about changing the rack bushings but the parts guy at my dealership didnt see any of them on the diagram.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be careful with aftermarket parts. not all but some of it is junk from china/taiwan. oe is probly your best option for qaulity stuff but it costs more money.

Last edited by crazyjerry; 11-29-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:53 PM
jaj1ie

Yeah I will probably go with Mopar for the important stuff at least

Old 12-02-2011, 06:13 AM
azvampyre
Professional

Originally Posted by crazyjerry
be careful with aftermarket parts. not all but some of it is junk from china/taiwan. oe is probly your best option for qaulity stuff but it costs more money.
Yup. I bought an "OEM Mopar" resistor block from Amazon, and in GIGANTIC letters across the front of it reads Made in China, covering the entire part.
Just because it says OEM Mopar doesn't make it true.

Here's a website with a lot of nationwide dealerships with an online store.
http://www.partswebsite.com/dodge.php
When you order through them, it's shipped from the dealership you choose (usually same or next day)

They also have references to every other OEM make as well.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
azvampyre
Professional

Originally Posted by jaj1ie
I just picked up an old Dakota and Im about to do a major tune up. Looking for advice on where to find parts for my new-to-me first generation Dakota. This board has been very helpful so far.

I dont have a manual but I prefer to get everything exactly as the book calls it or maybe some good aftermarket options

Any recommendations about the following parts and information about where to find them is much appreciated:

1. Spark plugs/wires, Cap + Rotor

2. Fuel, Oil, Air filters.

3. Transmission fluid, Front/Rear Diff fluids, Power steering Fluids, Engine oil.

4. Wheel bearings

5. Steering rack bushings

J
Unless it has the 2.4L engine, it won't have an external fuel filter. The fuel filter on the V6/V8 is attached to the fuel module in the tank.

When I replaced my cap and rotor, anything was an improvement because the rotor spring was bent up and twisted 15 degrees to the left and the cap was cracked by what seems the previous owner installing it with a hammer.
I used the Autolite 3923 plugs because they disperse heat from the pistons faster, and others say it's because they're 1 stage cooler than stock and reduce pinging (these are for my 318 though).

Automatic transmission fluid is ATF+4, and ATF+4 in the transfer case as well. I use Walmart Supertech because it's on the list of qualified brands and costs $4.29 a quart as apposed to $6.99 a quart for valvoline at Autozone.
I use Valvoline Durablend Synthetic 80w-90 gear oil in the front and rear differentials...I have a thing for Valvoline, I guess.
For Power Steering, I just used the Autozone brand, and the same for brake fluid, just be sure it's Dot 3 and don't mix synthetic with non-synthetic fluids.
Engine oil? You guessed it, I'm using Valvoline (non synthetic). Some prefer synthetic, but I got this truck with 113k on it and had always heard not to use synthetic oil in a high mileage engine if it hasn't been used throughout already.

Bushings aren't going to cost you a lot more from the dealer, but if you buy Chinese bushings, in the long run you'll regret not paying the extra 10-15%.
I know you didn't ask, but lower control arm bushings are going to be on your agenda sooner or later, and there's a link in the FAQ section for those.
Napa is a good place for the bearings and bushings if they carry them in your part of the globe...mine doesn't.

Also, if you haven't done so yet, it's a good idea to run three bottles of Chevron Techron fuel/injector cleaner through. The bottle says it treats 12 gallons, but I run a bottle through 7 gallons, then run it to 1/4 tank, add another bottle and 7 gallons, then run it down to 1/4 tank, and add another bottle and 7 gallons (I hate running my tank lower than 1/2 tank, and refuse to run it lower than 1/4, or risk sucking crud into the filter)...you really will notice the difference after three bottles.
I also run premium Chevron gas because I feel it's better for our trucks...well, any vehicle really. Chevron gas has the Techron added to it. If you have the 2.4 you won't need the premium though.

I forgot to mention, you can download the Factory Service Manual in FAQ's too.

Last edited by azvampyre; 12-02-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 AM
festerw
Veteran

Originally Posted by azvampyre
Unless it has the 2.4L engine, it won't have an external fuel filter. The fuel filter on the V6/V8 is attached to the fuel module in the tank.
Depends on the year, the older trucks all had external filters also. I think 94+ only had in tank filters.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by festerw
Depends on the year, the older trucks all had external filters also. I think 94+ only had in tank filters.
I don't know what year it started, but I can tell you guys that BOTH of my '93's have external fuel filters along the frame rail

Quick Reply: Where to find Original 'OE' Parts?