1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 dakota 3.9 code 17 and hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:02 PM
travs2448
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 dakota 3.9 code 17 and hesitation?

okay so im having some issues with my truck...

This truck was sitting for about 5 years as it used to be my dads old work truck until he bought a newer dakota.

anyways i changed the cam and crankshaft position sensors as they were broken and redid the fuel pump splice and put in a new pump all together.

so she ran fine for about 2 weeks until it started getting cold out and than i took it out one after noon and my rpm's where crazy flutturing all over the place and almost undrivable but as it warmed up it went away. i checked engine codes and i got a 17 so i replaced both the temp sensor and the coolant temp sensor and also the thermostat because i wasnt getting a temperature reading.

this worked the first time i drove it and it was fine but after another day or so it was back to the same old thing and this time it doesnt seem to go away?

also when i replaced the coolant temp sensor it was cleary broken somehow so i was expecting that to be it?

any help is appreciated!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you getting code 17 after all the fixes?

17* Closed loop temp not reached or engine cold too long. Typicality it is a bad thermostat or improperly installed. It can be the coolant sensor or the connector or wire.

You said you replaced the temp sensor and the coolant temp sensor.
Which sensors exactly did you replace? I ask because there are technical 3 temp sensors all slightly different. 1 coolant temp sender unit 1 wire for the gauge only. 1 coolant temp sensor 2 wire. Both near the thermostat. 1 intake air temp sensor on upper right on the intake.

What temp thermostat did you get?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:47 PM
travs2448
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the single connector one behind the alternator and the double conntact one next to the thermostat. and where is the one in the intake? my dad seems to think it has something to do with the computer thinking the engines at a different temp than it really is due to a bad sensor so its not mixing the fuel and air correctly?

ohh and yes i did replace the thermostat with a new one. i believe it was a 195 superstat? so in case it fail it fails open

Quick Reply: 94 dakota 3.9 code 17 and hesitation?