1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:57 AM
mariahsdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel issue?

O.K. Don't know where else to turn. I am a relatively new owner (rescuer?) of a 1988 Dakota V6. Put a new battery in, but other than that, no major mechanical issues. Last nite, even took it to get a Christmas tree. . .This morning, after warming up for about 10 min. she started to run a bit rough about 2 miles down the road. Soon thereafter, the "check engine" light came on for the first time.

Since the gas guage never worked, I went direcylt to the station, where I put in about 9 gallons to fill it right up. Then truck would not start up- loose battery terminal. once tightened and started, ran VERY rough, but check engine light went off.

Now, runs rough, and stalls when put into gear. Currently at gas station stuck until I figure this out. ANY IDEAS? Can't figure out how this happens all of a sudden- could this be a function of the battery cable coming loose? computer reset?

What do YOU think? Please help out a new member!

-Jim.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never had that problem but i though i seen some talk around here bad battery connections can cause issues. clean cables and posts with one of the wire brush battery cleaner things and see what happens. check if cables are corroded under the plastic sleeve

Old 12-04-2011, 11:31 PM
ddgdkt96
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The older fuel injected systems do weird things when they run out of gas, it took a while for mine to run normal after the first (and only) time I ran it out of gas. otherwise I would check the plugs, cap and wires.

The battery terminals will most likely only impact starting, because the engine runs off the alternator not the battery once its started. Possibly fuel issue.

Quick Reply: fuel issue?