1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

I think I fixed it... but what did I fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Lemmy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I fixed it... but what did I fix?

So, the car was running ok but didn't do too many mpg's. Lots of searching later we found it had a vacuum problem somewhere. So then all I needed to find was the origin.

I did find it eventually, but the solution I used (capped off a hose, see pics) wasn't too good (hose is too loose) so it came off again. When I was searching I found that I had not one, but two connections. So we cut the hose in two and capped them both off. Today I took one hose out and just attached the capped end of the other hose, so both ends are connected and hopfully, fixed in place a little better with tiewraps.

Thing is, I have a digital manual but that only shows one vacuum connection there. So I figured I must not have looked well enough. Can anyone tell me what I've capped now?

Hope the pics are clear enough, it's quite a pain to reach.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The long hose possibly is for the PCV valve. I'm not to sure on the short one.
But I'm not to sure what is going on with that long hose with some kind of electrical solenoid that T's off of the breather valve, and another hose below that they look like they go past the brake master cylinder. What year is your truck again? I just look weird with the cruse control on the left side.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:52 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what they are for, but this is how to fix it..

These 2 hoses:

belong here (however the one big hose is blocking the other one just a little lower):

Which is where these 2 hoses are connected and capped off at the other end:

so theoretically just take the 2 little capped off hoses, and put them into the big hoses that are capped off, and put hose clamps on them to keep them tight, but careful because the little ones are just plastic and are easy to break. Hope that helps

Last edited by RockGuardedDak; 12-06-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Lemmy
Amateur

Wow, that's interesting! Very! I'll run it by "my mechanic guy" first though, I just want to be certain.

@Crazy, I forgot to mention that since we are in Europe and especially the Netherlands, it runs on LPG. So that's what the solenoid's for, it's part of the system. And since I haven't a clue what else is part of it and why those small tubes have been capped off and so on, I'll ask first. For now, capping off the two hoses has worked a little, it's just a hint more powerful and the same amount more economic (I've just returned from a trip so I noticed this right away)

Almost forgot: it's a '92

Last edited by Lemmy; 12-06-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are extra vac ports on the intake that come capped off from the factory and are not used. You are good to go as you have it now or if you want to clean it up a little, those rubber caps can be bought at most parts stores. They come in a pack with an assortment of different sizes.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Didn't know you had Dakotas in the Netherlands. If you cant get the pack of caps over there, just pm me and I can send them to you.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Lemmy
Amateur

Sweet, I think I will! I've been thinking about it and I think I prefer capping indeed, that way it's much clearer what's going on than having some ends of tube sticking out.

I didn't even know Dakotas at all until I ran into this one by chance. It's an import offcourse, don't know very much more about them. I think there's only a handful in the country, mostly people go straight for the big ones.

Another thing; does anybody have a decent picture or schematic of these ports? I have a manual here that I downloaded a while ago, but that didn't help me much.

Quick Reply: I think I fixed it... but what did I fix?