1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

dimmer switch replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:03 AM
mazda7475
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dimmer switch replace

the old 89 sport needs a new dimmer switch. i have not been inside the cab since i sold 3 years ago so i'm a little rusty. the switch is only 30 bucks (i thought those things ran around $300). according to Haynes i just pull off the housing around the column, take out 2 bolts, then replace the switch. it's attached to the stalk by a rod that has to be adjusted by using a piece of wire but they don't say what size wire or how to do it. has anyone adjusted this switch on the forum. if so how.
the 87-91 dimmer set-up is different than the 92-96.
as an afterthought could the switch be good but it just needs a rod adjustment?
how could you tell without pulling everything apart? any help would be great
thanks.

yep i know what your thinking, i sold it 3 years ago and i'm still working on it. i don't think i would ever make a good used car salesman

Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hopefully a BUMP to your thread will help.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM
mazda7475
Veteran

i finally got a good look at it Crazy, i pulled out all the rotted material around the stock because it seemed a bit loose. when i looked both legs at the base on either side that have bolt holes in them where completely broken, the stalk is still pretty tight (wires holding it place). it moves up and down so the signals still work but it won't go back and forth for the brights.
the switch further down the column is probably ok but i can't see how the rod is attached to the stalk, i can see it on the switch so i can adjust it.
any ideas on how to fix these legs? i thought about a spot weld on each but i would have to do that in the cab with the plastic stalk still attached by the wires, probably not a good idea, but i can't see the connector to unplug it and pull it out. i get the feeling i'm going to have to pull the column apart to get at it.
any ideas or shortcuts anyone. it's gettin' cold outside and i don't care what it looks like as long as it works.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

finally got everything apart today and it was a balmy 15f with the wind chill. first i fixed the stalk by cutting and drilling L shaped brackets to go on both sides of the stalk, then i put a clamp around everything. it's really strong but it ain't pretty. then i tried the lights but there is still only low beams working, so i adjusted the switch position on the lower column. still didn't work. i removed the switch and checked it with an ohmmeter and got 2 totally different readings for the brights and dims. the dims have a lot of resistance.
i think the switch is bad and i'm going to replace it and let everyone know what happens in case the same thing happens to them.

i did check power and ground to the switch and everything seems ok.

Quick Reply: dimmer switch replace