1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

monster dakota

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 AM
thelittledakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monster dakota

hmm alright so I've had my Dakota for about 5 months and its time to start the modifications. She's a 96 dodge Dakota extended cab 6.5ft bed and has the v-6 magnum.
I'm planning on getting the skyjacker shocks for around 3in lift, a 2in body lift, the v-8 torsion bar for about an inch lift, crank the torsion bars for about 2in-2.5in, the shackle flip for about 2in. Lastly, i plan to do 4in solid steel blocks in the rear and 3in in the front, they will be welded in by a professional. I plan on running 38in mud tires. all work should be done in the next month or so, time to get this project movin!

this will NOT be my daily driver more of a mudder.
i know how bad the ride will be and i know blocks wear everything out and are not safe, just to be clear.

i have a few question's for you guys.
1. I'm 98% sure im going to need extended drive-shafts so could i modify one off of a dodge ram or anything for that matter!
2. for the shackle flip I've read the forum a million times and every time i go to look at it, it doesn't look like it will work when i flip them!!
3. for a 10-12in lift would i be able to re-route the brake lines or should i just get new stainless steel ones (where can i get them)
4. ill probably need a dropped pitman arm to? where can i get one for my size?
5. is there anything else that i'm missing?

thank you guys for looking! all helps greatly appreciated.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First of all stock drivetrain will not hold up to 38's. It will brake something, it has been done.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...y-tires-d.html

The FAQ2 has most of those upgrade details.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ion-ideas.html

Originally Posted by thelittledakota
Lastly, i plan to do 4in solid steel blocks in the rear and 3in in the front, they will be welded in by a professional. I plan on running 38in mud tires. all work should be done in the next month or so, time to get this project movin!
Blocks don't need to be welded, and the front doesn't have leaf springs so you can't use blocks up front, which is illegal if you did. Add A Leafs is a better option vs blocks.

You can get your driveshaft extended if needed, you don't need to get a Ram's. Find a local driveshaft shop.

The shackle flip will work but shift the axle forward.

For new brake lines you will need custom universal brake lines. Google it.

For the pitman arm it all depends on what you do, if you keep it all stock then you don't have any upgraded choices.

Over all if your true plan is to run 38's your going to need to do a SAS (Solid Axle Swap) 1 ton axles.

Quick Reply: monster dakota