1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

fuel pump? dropping fuel/long starts

Old 08-04-2005, 02:14 PM
NDTracer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump? dropping fuel/long starts

I just recently bought another Dakota (makes #3 I've owned). My first was a 87 std cab with V-6, second 91 X-cab with V-8 and this one is a 96 X-cab V-8, all 4x4.

My question is when I park the truck for almost any time period I have to wait for the pump to get fuel back to the injectors as it appears to drop the fuel. I have tried to allow the key to be turned forward to begin pumping prior to turning the starter but that doesn't seem to pump it.[&o] So I need to crank on the starter for a while until there is fuel to start the truck. I am afraid this will burn out the starter and/or the pump.

I have had a pressure check done and the pump is pushing alot of pressure. I can't recall but think they said normal is 30-40 psi and I am at 90. This may be indicating a blockage somewhere or maybe a vacuum lock. My thoughts are possibly vacuum lock and when parked releases it and thus I have to wait for the pump to get past the lock? Another thought is the "check valve" for lack of a better word is not closing which allows the fuel to flow back. This would be in the tank along with my fuel filter.

Is this a common problem? What is the solution? If it is replacing the pump does anyone know anything about where to get a reasonably priced one? I found one for $300+ and that is the cheaper one. These are Mopar so are there any downfalls to aftermarket? The thing I am thinking of is different pressure or pressurized systems which can mess up fuel economy (worse than normal) or cause other issues.

The pump so you all know is part # 4897437AA and I have been told Mopar has changed this possibly to AC4897437.

Thanks
Clint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel pump? dropping fuel/long starts