1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Vacuum Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 AM
ddgdkt96
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Leak?

Hello all, once again I am trying to track down the lack of power my 96, V6 autotrani with 214K dak has.

the other day I screwed up and left my lights and killed the battery. When I restarted it I noticed something interesting. When I would rev the engine when the RPM's got up to about 2K it was like there was a governor on it and it did not keep going up. later on, when I tried it it did go beyond and just as I would have expected it too. I notice that sometimes on the freeway and other times when I need to that extra power its not always there. which tells me it is a random phenomena.But this is the first time I have seen this lack of RPM's when just revving it.

I have replaced all the sensors, the cat is good, and fuel pump relatively new. I have pulled the plenum off and replaced the gasket. I have done so much to this thing, I forget I all I have done.

My question is, does this sound like a vacuum leak and how do I track it down, I have had no success in finding it in the past. The techniques I have used to find the leak is 1. inspection 2. moving and flexing lines while engine is running. 3. can of engine start spraying on lines.

Nothing. any other techniques I can try??

thanks in advance, you guys rock!!

thoughts?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
89newbie
Captain

Only battery drain on 94 was when I had hard start problems and getting it ready for inspection. I would start truck let it run and decided to put the charger on it just for grins. There were jumps in charge back to full charge and that made me think maby the drainage allowed battery to get too cold. Put a heater under the hood for a few hours and tried charger after that. Charger started charging at 4 amps and was done in about an hour. Left lights on 89 once and had to charge, warm weather this instance. Had no problems.

. Might be all wet here but I would do a key seach and see what codes you get. Next thing I would do would be disconnect positive connector from battery and let PCM reset. After reset I would drive truck and see what is up, and recode it after getting home. If you had no problems before the battery drain this is strange.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
ddgdkt96
Professional

Yes, thanks. I did not mean to imply that I actually thought that battery running dead was the cause, but rather that that was when I noticed it. Normally I get in and drive off. I guess this was a case of too much information. Sorry if I confused my concern.
thanks again.
P

Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by ddgdkt96
Yes, thanks. I did not mean to imply that I actually thought that battery running dead was the cause, but rather that that was when I noticed it. Normally I get in and drive off. I guess this was a case of too much information. Sorry if I confused my concern.
thanks again.
P
Have you done a cpu test via the ignition off and on process to see it the cpu is telling you anything?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:11 AM
ddgdkt96
Professional

I have a reader and it shows nothing. The problem is random, its like it bogs around 2k rpm, sometimes its fine, others not. I happen to notice the bogging at the rpms because as I said before, I had to jump start it and was trying to keep it running by revving the engine.
thanks

Quick Reply: Vacuum Leak?