1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need front end help on 92 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM
lifted-dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need front end help on 92 dakota

Guys i need some help i have a lifted 92 Dakota 4x4 and the front wheels lean when i take corners. When i say lean i dont mean a little bit it it completely noticeable when following behind my truck. I have put in all new ball joints and both wheel bearings. Also a idler arm. Still leans! Im not sure what it could be. Is there any way it could be coming from the A arm bushings? Thats the only thing left right? If so has anyone ever changed them before? What all is involved in changing them.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to get an alignment. If it is Maxed out and your still having problems then the lift is to much.

Post up pics of your truck.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM
lifted-dakota

Ill get pics up as soon as i can. But im going to try an alignment. My only guess was the bushing because that is the only part left that could cause that type of movement. Also when i got the truck it was completely stock and the wheels did the same thing so im not thinkin it from the lift.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

You might as well try the alignment now as I can't think of anything else you can do. As Crazy says, post up some pics, would like to see your truck.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:26 PM
lifted-dakota

oh yeah i for go tell you guys that the wheels dont lean all the time only when taking corners. p.s. im going to try to get some pics up tonight

Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 PM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by lifted-dakota
oh yeah i for go tell you guys that the wheels dont lean all the time only when taking corners. p.s. im going to try to get some pics up tonight

How is tire wear? How much lift? A good allignment guy will be able to tell you whats up, if normal or not.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 PM
lifted-dakota

It has 35 inch tires. 4" body lift. and t-bar crank with 2 " blocks in rear. I am really good at working and problem solving on cars and trucks and i cant figure this out. The wheel bearing were bad so i thought that might be the problem so i did both wheel bearing and upper and lower ball joints also. when the truck is parked i shake it jack it up and wiggle everything put cant see any play in anything. some times i notice the wheels lean when i come to a stop after turning. but they really lean when i turn while driving. when you are driving straight looks fine. Im leaning toward the control arm bushing.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When you jack up the torsion bars you MAX out the control arm adjustment. That is why your tires are like that. Try to get an alignment, most likely they can't do enough.

Are you sure you have a 4in body lift? There is only 2in there was a 3in that is no longer sold. Unless you custom built it. Which 4in body lift can be to extreme.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM
lifted-dakota

yeah im sure its a 4" body lift done it my self. I have step bars to hide frame. Anyways i understand what you mean by maxing it out however the truck did it when it was stock before the t-bars were ever cranked. Thats what i cant understand.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:00 PM
lifted-dakota

Ill post pics soon it looks good cant tell it has a 4" body lift.

Quick Reply: Need front end help on 92 dakota