1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Inop Fuel gage ,FYI & ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inop Fuel gage ,FYI & ?

So my 1990 has had a inop fuel gage for over two years, stuck on full. Just now found out the low fuel light still works. curious how much fuel is left in the tank when light comes on?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 PM
GTXpress
Professional

Usually around 2 gallons is when the light should come on

Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The sending unit must have been incorrectly placed where the float is stuck. Once the light hits, 5 gallons or so. I wouldn't go very far once the light comes on. You can burn out the pump since it uses the gas to keep the pump cool. Best thing is to keep track of your miles with the Odometer.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM
89newbie
Captain

As Usual, I agree with Crazy! Light on our 94 is usually always on now. Guage has never worked but I just keep track of miles. Guage on 89 works but its records in a strange way so I track miles on it also. Since both have the bigger tanks I just never run more than 150 miles without adding fuel. Last thing I want to be doing is dropping a tank to do a burned up pump. (Had to do three pumps when Mustangs were the passion and its no fun).

Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
kahanabob
Captain

been doing the milage thing but girlfriend ran it down, duh.....nice to know the light still comes on.....float must be working since the light works. the whole thing started when i left the truck sit for 6 months on empty the sending unit must have dried up and gumed up the works.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:27 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my low fuel light still works as does my gauge. i still usually fill up after 250miles on the odometer. if i'm only on the highway then i fill up around 170 for safe measures since i usually don't go slower than 75mph

Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
my low fuel light still works as does my gauge. i still usually fill up after 250miles on the odometer. if i'm only on the highway then i fill up around 170 for safe measures since i usually don't go slower than 75mph
When I am running the 600 mile round trip I carry at least1-5 gallon spare. ( Ive run out 3 times in my life, always when dear old dad had the car/truck, the night before). Dad taught me well never to push an empty tank ans a few cents a gallon saved by going to a cheaper station can mean a walk and Im not gonna do thet ever again! LOL I guess thats why I drive Dak's just so durn dependable, if you take care of them they take care of you!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

We used to have a LeBaron once where the fuel gauge didn't work, but heck man, once that light came on we were gone to the nearest gas station because I was never sure what was left in the tank at that point.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:54 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89newbie
When I am running the 600 mile round trip I carry at least1-5 gallon spare. ( Ive run out 3 times in my life, always when dear old dad had the car/truck, the night before). Dad taught me well never to push an empty tank ans a few cents a gallon saved by going to a cheaper station can mean a walk and Im not gonna do thet ever again! LOL I guess thats why I drive Dak's just so durn dependable, if you take care of them they take care of you!
my grandpa does that a lot. he let me borrow his van for work he other day and i had to use the last 2 gallons out of the 10gal spare tank we have to get to the nearest gas station...

Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 AM
GTXpress
Professional

My gauge nor my odo works right now and I have only ran out in that situation twice. Without the gauge but with the odo I ran out like 5 times. I carry a one gallon reserve now to get me to a gas station.

Quick Reply: Inop Fuel gage ,FYI & ?