1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 Dakota Electrical Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:05 PM
mechaniclese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dakota Electrical Issues!

So here goes. I have a 1992 Dakota 3.9L Auto 4x4 214k miles on it. Two days ago I took it to town and it missed once going down the road. I shut it off at my destination and it wouldn't start again! I got out and banged on the relay/fuse box under the hood and after a few tries it started up again. So on to my next stop. Shut the truck off and it started fine, on to my third stop. This time it took many tries to get it to start. I got it started drove it home and it hasen't started since! Several times on the drive home it missed once or twice but kept going. I know about the bad splice problem and I read about the ASD in the FAQ and all appears in order there. This had been spliced/repaired poorly as I found out today! I repaired all the cruddy splices but I still have the same problem! I can hear the fuel pump. So I know it's not that. I don't have anyone to help me test it but as far as I can tell I have no spark! It also looks like in the previous repair they tied power into the ASD relay from the adjacent one to give it power. It was running like that so I rewired it like that! What are my next steps? Can anyone narrow down specific wires to check as there are like 100 right there. I am really stuck and would appreciate the help! I just ran the codes on the computer and I got 12, 54,42,33,55. I know 12 and 55 are meaningless as the begin and end of codes.

Last edited by mechaniclese; 02-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 PM
festerw
Veteran

54 points to no camshaft signal, 42 is open ASD circuit, 33 is open A/C clutch circuit.

I would start by restoring the wiring to stock as it will be very difficult to troubleshoot with different wiring. The FSM has all the info you'll need to test the wires to repair it correctly.

Or you could leave it like it is and take a shot at replacing the cam sensor.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
mechaniclese

I already returned the wiring to it's stock state. I have no idea why they were drawing power off the neighboring relay as the original wires running to the ASD relay have power. I even tried running a wire all the from the power lead on the ASD to the positive side of the coil to see if there was a break somewhere in between but no luck!

Quick Reply: 92 Dakota Electrical Issues!