1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Question on bypassing A/C compressor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 PM
evintho
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Question on bypassing A/C compressor.

I've got a bad squeal when I start up my '95 w/3.9 V6 in the cold morning. It used to go away after awhile but now it seems to be hanging around even after the truck is warm. I've replaced the belt, tensioner and idler pulley. I think I've traced it to the A/C compressor. I ordered a belt for a V6 w/o air and it's too short. I can get it on without utilizing the tensioner.

Where the belt intersects on top of the water pump pulley and underneath the idler pulley, it's almost touching itself. Just doesn't seem right, besides, it's too short. I'm wondering if there's a difference in pulley circumferences between an A/C motor and non-A/C motor? Anyone know?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
SapperKai
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled my compressor the other day, and ran into the same problem. I have a 93 318 V8, and the "w/o A/C" belt length listed in the SM is 88.5"/7 rib. I ran into the same problem, it is also too short. We ran a soft tape measure through the belt routing and it should be a 90.0 or 90.5"/7 rib. But alas, they did not have that length belt. It seems that most people I talk to find the belt listed to be about two inches too short. In my case since I just removed the entire A/C system, I ran a 86.0" belt and bypassed the idler pulley altogether as there was not a compressor pulley in the the way. Don't know if this helps, if anything run a sewing-type soft tape measure through the route with no pressure on the tensioner and whatever length you get subtract an inch.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The pulleys are the same. The difference is the upper bracket. The best option is to buy the AC Delete pulley. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...38297_0_15373_

Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
evintho
Rookie

Yep, I did that. Got 90-3/4". NAPA lists the overall lengths on their belts so I shouldn't have a problem getting the proper length. However, the belt will run really close to itself between the w/p pulley and idler pulley. I was wondering if that'll pose a problem?

Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM
evintho
Rookie

Crazy4x4, our posts must've crossed. That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Question on bypassing A/C compressor.