1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

c clip removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c clip removal

Anyone have a way to do this by yourself. THinking to take two large c clapps small board and fit across axil and let other side leverage against backing plate. Any better ideas would be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't understand what you are talking about.

What are you trying to do?
Remove the C-Clips of the axle shafts?
Permanently or temporarily?

They are easy to remove, just take off the cover and pull the cross pin.
To eliminate them permanently they sell kits that use press on bearings kits with retainer plates. www.ringpinion.com or www.summitracing.com might sell them

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 02-19-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
89newbie
Captain

THanks for reply. Replace axil seals as a maintenance thing, 150+K and heavy towing make me think its time. I was refering to a note in "Haynes", to have a friend push in on axil while I pill clip, of course the retainer has to be taken out first. Question back to you is, with your usage have you discarded the C clips? I think the C clip method is a better system. I have seen axls come out when the bearings were destroyed.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

normally removing the c-clip is a one person job. pull the tires, take off the diff cover, remove the the little bolt holding the cross pin, remove the cross pin, push axle in, get a magnet and pull the c-clips, slide axles out, pop seals out, outer bearings can be replaced at this same time if you wish.

if your destroying bearings from to much weight i would suggest a bigger truck like 3/4 or 1 ton. c-clip axles are light duty

Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by crazyjerry
normally removing the c-clip is a one person job. pull the tires, take off the diff cover, remove the the little bolt holding the cross pin, remove the cross pin, push axle in, get a magnet and pull the c-clips, slide axles out, pop seals out, outer bearings can be replaced at this same time if you wish.
Thanks, I asked because Haynes referred to a second person pushing axil in while pulling clip.

if your destroying bearings from to much weight i would suggest a bigger truck like 3/4 or 1 ton. c-clip axles are light duty
Not a bearing thing just doing a complete brake job including emergency cables and thought it would be stupid to loose all of that because of an old wheel seal. Oh by the way, this is the bigger truck the smaller short cab with 3.9 is the Winter grocery getter. The smallest truck is the 49CC Moped, now there is a subject for overload.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replacing the seals is fairly easy. should be able to do both sides on a saturday. depending how old the outer bearings are, might be good idea to replace those also but if theyre fairly new then you could leave them in. if you have a extra person to help, yes it can make it easier but not mandatory

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
89newbie
Captain

Agreed on that also. Seems kinda dumb not to do bearings at the same time.

Quick Reply: c clip removal