1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

All things point to PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 PM
GTXpress
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All things point to PCM

So I have pretty much done everything to try and get my truck running again. I have replaced the fuel pump, fixed both splices that provide power to the ASD and Fuel Pump Relays. Tore down the harness going back to the pump looking for breaks or rubs. Looked at connectors, fuses and the like. Still cant get power to the tank. Only thing I havent checked yet is the firewall pass through. Only thing left points to PCM.

Anyone have any other places I should look?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The PCM doesn't supply power to the fuel pump, the fuel pump relay does. I suggest to test to see if there is power at the relay output wire to the pump. If you have power there and not at the pump you have a wiring problem somewhere.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 PM
GTXpress
Professional

What does the PCM use the wire from the relay for? I have power everywhere except for where the harness comes out of the cab and goes down to go along the framerail.

When I dont have the relay in I have two terminals with power. When I plug the relay in a bit and can still touch the terminal on the relay there is power there as well.

I have looked over all the wiring, checked all fuses. The only wire I havent checked would be the little stretch from the firewall pass through, back out the firewall to the connector that runs everything along the framerail.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

just to verify, have you actually checked for voltage at the fuel pump pigtail lead? or is it possible that the pump is bad? Once you turn the key to run, you should hear the pump relay click on and then off about 1.5 secs later before turning to start.

Quick Reply: All things point to PCM