1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Gas Gauge Sampling Intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got some leather seats out of a BMW for my Dakota I'm going to try to interconnect the BMW seat belt buckles with the seat belt light on the dash. Only the drivers buckle is connected to the dash from the factory but both the BMW buckles support it and both have a pressure sensor in the seat. So I'm going to try to connect the passengers buckle to the drivers buckle line, but if I don't have a passenger the light would show on my dash so I'm going to have to try and run it through the pressure sensor first.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 AM
festerw
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ngtyler1s
The plugs will fit and are universal on the trucks however, if your truck is a 4 cyl the computer does not have a driver for a tachometer. the 6 and 8 cyl computers do. And also if your speedometer is cable driven, youll have to find a cluster like that. I think they did that for only 88 and 89 (not 100% sure). But for sure after that, the speedometer is electronic. And you will not lose a seatbelt light there is a hidden one in the tach face.
The cable driven speedo goes through at least 92.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

If you put on the drivers seatbelt before starting, it will only silence the buzzer. The light comes on at start every time regardless

Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

If you put on the drivers seatbelt before starting, it will only silence the buzzer. The light comes on at start every time regardless
My bulb must be burnt it's never come on before, if it comes on it goes right back out right? Is it on a timer or not even connected to the seat at all?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:16 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

Does yours have the buzzer plugged in and working? Because I yanked out my buzzer and the light quit working at the same time. I couldn't stand the thing when I wanted to leave my door open while listening. to music outside.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Does yours have the buzzer plugged in and working? Because I yanked out my buzzer and the light quit working at the same time. I couldn't stand the thing when I wanted to leave my door open while listening. to music outside.
Yeah I pulled the buzzer but it never worked before that either (seat belt light). I don't see why the light would quit when the buzzer is pulled but I duno. I hear you about the music, I'm installing a dome light override s/w so I don't burnt up my light either for no reason with the doors open.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I swear it takes an immediate sample when you really step on it the gauge literally drops even if the vehicle does not jump;slosh the tank.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:27 AM
One to Remember
Rookie

so everybody here knows about the gauge issue but know one knows the wiring schematics going to the back of the cluster on an '88?!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by One to Remember
so everybody here knows about the gauge issue but know one knows the wiring schematics going to the back of the cluster on an '88?!

We have the wiring diagrams for a 1990 in the FAQ. That will be about 90% the same as your 88.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 08-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
We have the wiring diagrams for a 1990 in the FAQ. That will be about 90% the same as your 88.
Think I could take the mechanical speedo mechanism out of my 88' cluster and attach it to the newer all electric cluster???

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge Sampling Intervals?