1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Intermittent misfire/power loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 AM
ngtyler1s
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent misfire/power loss

Hello, I posted this problem on an older forum a while ago but lost track of it. I have a 1995 dakota with the 3.9l v6. It has an intermittent misfire and power loss. The misfire is more noticable under load. This problem is a lot worse when its colder outside (under 60 degrees) or humid outside. On a perfect 70 degree day, it runs quite well. but the problem is still there. It has a random misfire on all plugs. You can pull a boot off and hear it miss. Normally, there would be a steady tick,tick,tick,tick. but youl hear a tick,tick,...,tick,ta-tick. etc... It idles a little shaky but if you hold down the pedal to raise the idle the idle will move up and down on its own despite holding the pedal steady. I have been chasing this problem for more than a year now. Here's everything I have done/checked/found. No check engine codes, new cap, rotor, autolite 3923 plugs, plug wires,new coil, new cam distributor sensor, new crank sensor, new egr valve, new O2 sensor, new map sensor, new ignition switch. No vacuum leaks and intake gasket is good (checked with starting fluid all over). The intake temp sensor and coolant temp sensors are both within the correct ohm range according to the manual. So I have no idea why weather affects it. The only thing I find unusual is that when I unplug the IAC lead, the computer will not trigger a check engine code. I don't know if thats a sign that the computer is toast? Sorry for the long list. Any help would be much appreciated very much.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:24 AM
ngtyler1s
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also forgot to mention I redid the notorious power splice under the relay box.

Quick Reply: Intermittent misfire/power loss