1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Questions about body parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Therocks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about body parts

I've got a '95 4X4 club cab 5.2L. The body is starting to need some attention. The drivers front fender is shot and it really could use a new bed. The cab is decent and the floors are fine. Overall the paint is not good. It has the typical dullness and patches are peeled up.

My questions are:

1. Will any 1st gen fender fit?
2. From what I have read, the 94-96 boxes are the same but will other years work?
3. Is there a difference between 2wd and 4wd boxes?
4. Will a box from a short bed standard cab work as a replacement?

I am looking to source this stuff from salvage or buy a whole truck with a bad engine or trans and swap some of the good stuff over and get a cheap paint job.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For the fenders the 91-96 will work.
For the bed 87-96 will work.
2wd and 4wd is the same.
Any short bed from a SC or CC will work.

www.Craigslist.org is probably your best bet.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM
dodger8691
Professional

no a different box wont work best bet is if you have a long bed keep it a long bed or if you have a short keep it a short as for the fenders i found a few on ebay for about 60 bux plus shipping also www.rockauto.com has almost anything you will need for our trucks

Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Therocks

Thanks for the help! I am a little confused by dodger's post. I have a short bed now and was wondering if all short beds are the same. Craigslist isn't that great in the rust belt. I have been searching for some time and dakota parts do not come up that often within 500 miles of me. Those that do aren't generally factory new condition.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

If you're not looking to spend a ton on the paint Harbor Freight sells syphon feed guns for $25 that work pretty damn well. I just primed, painted, and clear coated mine last weekend over two days for half the price of Maaco's half off special and it came out better than most Maaco jobs I've seen.

Napa had 40% off Herculiner kits as well so I got the whole truck painted and bedlined for under $300.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Therocks

I'm definitely looking at painting it myself. I have a gun and the separators for my compressor. I did some paint work on a trail rig about 10 years ago. I may be a little out of practice.

Quick Reply: Questions about body parts