1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New Paint and Bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint and Bedliner

Spent the last 2 weekends repainting and bedlining the truck. Stripped the paint down, primed it, sprayed it, and clear coated it last weekend and lined the lower panels. Herculined the bed last night and this morning.

Before:

Sanded, Primed and Sprayed:

After:

Those aren't lines in the paint, it's the shadow off a huge tree behind me when I took the pictures.

The liner on the rockers isn't Herculiner and didn't stick well for whatever reason in the back under the left tail light. Gonna do touch up where needed with the Herculiner next weekend or tomorrow.

Last edited by Motorcharge; 03-17-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, pics didn't resize for some reason.

Anyway, it's definitely a 10 foot paint job. I didn't have time to do a second coat of the blue before last weekend was up so it does show through in a couple places, but it looks 10 times better than before. Didn't want to drive it around for a week without doing the clear coat.

Syphon feed paint gun: $25
Primer: $50
Paint: $50
Clear Coat: $25
Herculiner: $60

Way better job than Maaco would have done and 2/3 of the price of their half off special just for painting.

Used a Harbor Freight spray gun and it worked far better than I expected it to. Had I had more paint and time and a regulator for it between the gun and compressor I think it would have done even better.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool. Not to bad. I've been thinking of doing a simple paint job, bed liner works.

Quick Reply: New Paint and Bedliner