1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 Dakota WILL NOT IDLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:55 PM
mwahlgren7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Dakota WILL NOT IDLE

As I was moving our Dodge out of the barn today I noticed that it refused to idle without dying. If i gave it gas I was a able to keep it going but as soon as I let off it began to shudder and die. It didn't do this last week when I drove it, and I'm not sure what the deal is. The only thing I can think of is is that there was a small gray canister that fell from beneath the vehicle awhile back...it wasn't properly mounted and I have had it on the workbench since. Possibly related? I work on my own cars all the time but since the Dodge belonged to my grandfather i'm not really familiar with it.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 PM
brihno360
Amateur

you might start by checking for vacuum leaks- those old rubber vacuum hoses can crack and if it has the plastic hoses they can really get brittle when they get old.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
mwahlgren7

Originally Posted by brihno360
you might start by checking for vacuum leaks- those old rubber vacuum hoses can crack and if it has the plastic hoses they can really get brittle when they get old.
I will indeed do that, perhaps tomorrow...I had to leave it parked out in a field overnight because it was sliding on the wet grass and dying multiple times...guess it still beats working on a modern car.

Quick Reply: 87 Dakota WILL NOT IDLE