1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92' Problem with gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Jdog121
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 92' Problem with gauges

Hello,
I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota with some problems with the gauges.
When I Start the truck all the gauges are normal. When I put it into gear the gas gauge drops and the temp. gauge doesent seem to work.
The RPM's and the oil pressure gauge are working fine but the MPH tac is real bouncy until you get to about 45 MPH then it calms down.
Another problem is If you turn the headlights on and turn the dim **** all the way to the left , all the lights on the cluster turn on and all the gauges go high.
(turn signals,all the warning lights, and even the buzzer for the door wll go off.)
I am going to start to take the dash off to get behind the gauges but would like some input before I do so . ThankS!!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
JR318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get it tore apart check to see if there is a wire harness shorting out when you move the shifter on the column. Sounds like there might be a harness that is laying on the column somewhere around the shift linkage and has rubbed a bare spit on the wires causing it to go crazy when the shifter is moved from park and the metal on the column from the shifter is touching the bare wires wich will create a short circuit and make the electronic gauges go crazy. Just a thought but if thats not it try and g t a electrical schematic for the dash and check all the wires for shorts when the shifter is moved from park. Im not sure if you've replaced the headlight switch yet but also check it with a meter to make sure it's not shorted itself.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The speedo jumping problem is due to a worn speedo cable. Just replace it with a new one.

Quick Reply: 92' Problem with gauges