1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Off-Road Bumper Design

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM
rampagefan84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-Road Bumper Design

hello everyone,
as the thread title says, i am designing an off road bumper for first generation dakota's. i have not stated the design yet because i would like some information and constraints when designing. so i created an online survey at http://dakotaunlimited.questionpro.com. please answer this survey so i can make a quality product. also, i have some questions for you guys.
1. If there were to be some kind of mount for off-road lights on the grille guard/brush guard, what type would best? None? Suggestions?
2. Should I use the stock bumper mounting system or design new heftier mounts (that do not molest the frame)?

if you have any questions and comments please let me know.

also, if you would like to receive a quote for the bumper when it's completed please leave me a way to contact you either by PMing me or e-mailing me at dodgedakotaunlimited@gmail.com.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:04 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal suggestion is to see the bumpers in various stages, from bare bumper design, with guard, with lights, with winch, all as options that can be added. Oh, and CHEAP will help you sell volumes.
Next, perhaps make sturdier mounts but make them mount up like factory for ease of installation.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I support everything Marcar suggested!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would love to see some aftermarket bumpers. I would suggest making 1 front and rear stripped down bare basics just bumper winch mount short and sweet for a great price that anyone can afford.

Then for the serious buyers go all out swing out tire carrier ect recessed lights push bar ect.

For me I love the ARB Bull-bars Toyota Tacomas. D-ring/Shackle mounts would be great. Keep it shallow/narrow/short. To many are to tall they look like the truck has a beer belly.

For the rear I know I HATE tube bumpers. A great bumper with an winch mount would be great, the licence plate can be mounted to the side or tailgate. Again keep it short, options should be optional to keep the price down.

A simple bumper like this one would be great for front and rear.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I filled out your survey to help you a bit, but I'll likely have my welder buddy fab up my own.

I'm likely going to keep the stock rear bumper, but for the front I'm looking for an 1.5" tubular bumper with possible grille guard, tow hooks/d-rings and winch/light mount locations.

I understand that to manufacture these for profit you'll need to be selling them for a relatively hefty price, but even the lowest option of $500-650 would be out of the question for me. Most of us are doing our trucks on the cheap/light-to-medium off-road capability.

JC Whitney makes tubular jeep bumpers for $180-$300, which is much more reasonable. Granted, that's for jeeps that have a much higher demand/production capability which would drive the price down. Still, I can get my welder buddy to fab something up for around $200 (with me doing the prep/paint/install).

Good luck with the effort, hopefully it works out for everyone.

Quick Reply: Off-Road Bumper Design