1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

91 Dodge Dakota 4 cylinder 5 speed - Timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
serpentine5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Dodge Dakota 4 cylinder 5 speed - Timing issue

Tried to post in the teck area but it would not let me, permissions or something... not sure why. So I am posting here.

Driving home tonight from work I was on the highway and lost power to my truck. was going around 65-70, had to pull over. wasnt sure what was going on, tried to restart it and it it turned but not over. Wouldnt fire.
Got out and first thing I checked was the spark. No fire from the coil, no fire on number 1 or 2 from the distributor.
Called my brother he came and got me with a trailer and we took it to an auto store. I replaced the coil, distributor cap, rotor button, and the pick up that is under the distributor cap, the plug wires and finally the plugs themselves (the plugs were covered with a nasty build up of the ash colored stuff that is supposed to indicate that I am running lean?).

She still would not crank over.
My brother was in front of the truck and noticed a place where he could see the timing belt, and had me turn her over while watching the belt, the belt never turned. So I then pulled the top cover off and turned her over again and confirmed the belt didnt turn. So I fingered the belt and it was loose to the touch but not enough to jump teeth by hand. I was able to slide the belt off the top gear and when I did I then pulled it around so the part of the belt that was at the bottom gear was up top were I could see it and all the teeth on the belt are gone. then I noticed that the lower gear that is next to the tensioner pully moved when I pulled the belt. I pulled the belt in the opposite direction to see if it moved both directions and it did, was rough and did not turn smoothly, but did turn in either direction without the crank shaft turning.
I have not worked timing on this type of motor, but on a chevy I worked on, the top gear was on the front of the cam shaft and the bottom gear was on the front of the crank shaft. As far as I can see the bottom gear is not attached to the crank shaft.
Is there a third gear that is attached to the crank shaft?
What about it running lean? how do I address that?

I plan on tearing down the front end in the morning and getting a new belt and looking at that gear to see if I have to replace it. Thinking it snapped loose from its mounts and caused the whole thing.... hoping that my local auto parts store has what I need.
Anywhere you guys know of that I could find an exploded view of the timing belt and gears for this engine?

Thanks much for any and all help.
Mike

Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You are posting in the Tech section. It sure sounds like a big mess. Just tear it down and see what is going on. Be careful as you turn the engine over if there are any valves extended out you can cause the piston to collide with it causing damage.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 AM
serpentine5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will get started on her in a few hours. Will take a few pix and post. I did find a diagram. It is a 3 gear timing system. here is the link: Chrystler Factory Parts dot com. You will have to click the button to enlarge the exploded view. The gear I am asking about if it free turns or not is part #8 which is listed only as Shaft, Intermediate. What does this shaft operate? It isnt the cam shaft and it isnt the crank shaft.... what shaft is it? Could it have possibly broken?
Also, after reading several posts here and in the other first gen discussion area, several people have taked about replacing the cam shaft position sensor. Is this the pick up sensor I replaced that goes under the distributor cap? If not, where on the 4 cylinder is the cam shaft position sensor and what does the pick up sensor do?

Thanks

Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes the cam sensor is the pick up coil located inside the distributor.

Quick Reply: 91 Dodge Dakota 4 cylinder 5 speed - Timing issue