1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cranking my torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Alacoque
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranking my torsion bars

I want to tighten my torsion bars to the max to get a couple inches of lift. Do I just tighten the adjustment bolts until they stop on either side? Also, is a front end alignment necessary? And if so how much do they cost?

Thanks alot

Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe not all the way where they contact, but stop close. Also make sure you take measurements before and after and you may have to back one side down a bit to equal out the sides.

An alignment is best, it can throw off the other measurements. Typical $80 or more depending on where you go. Also most charge for 4 wheel alignment although the rears are non-adjustable, so just a front end alignment is fine.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Alacoque
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay I tightened them nearly all the way and I've gained approximately 2-3 inches!! The front is now about half an inch to an inch higher than the rear. I think I'm going to lower it back down a bit because it doesn't look right. Also, the ride is much stiffer now! no more bottoming

Quick Reply: Cranking my torsion bars