1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 Dodge Dakota - GD Upper Ball Joint Won't Budge

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 06:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

When I did the uppers on my 1988 Dakota, I got stuck on the first one I was trying - even with the official socket.

I finally gave up, took the control arms to a shop that had a 3/4" 1100 lb/ft "Earthquake" style impact wrench.

It took two techs since either one would bounce around with the impact ... with both, they were able to hold the impact wrench until it broke free.

(The second one wasn't that hard, but I also had them drive the new ball joints in.)

If it's more than that, maybe pull a set of control arms from the boneyard and remove the ball joints from them?

(Might also try buying a gallon jug of Kroil or P'Blaster, putting it into a large glass dish, and letting the unit soak in it for a day or two with the dish covered.)

RwP

Old 01-31-2016, 11:29 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
When I did the uppers on my 1988 Dakota, I got stuck on the first one I was trying - even with the official socket.

I finally gave up, took the control arms to a shop that had a 3/4" 1100 lb/ft "Earthquake" style impact wrench.

It took two techs since either one would bounce around with the impact ... with both, they were able to hold the impact wrench until it broke free.

(The second one wasn't that hard, but I also had them drive the new ball joints in.)

If it's more than that, maybe pull a set of control arms from the boneyard and remove the ball joints from them?

(Might also try buying a gallon jug of Kroil or P'Blaster, putting it into a large glass dish, and letting the unit soak in it for a day or two with the dish covered.)

RwP
RalphP, just out of curiousity, have you had or heard experience with the ball joints in 4WD Daks? I'm wondering if they are just as challenging.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:03 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine were a real pain too. I used a giant pipe wrench and 4-6' of pipe on it. At that, it was still tough, the entire way out. New ones went in pretty easy with minimal resistance. Just make sure the truck is VERY stable before you get that kind of leverage on it.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:46 PM
wyrmrider
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heat then some High Temp penatrant rust disolving penatrant while hot
chatter with the impact both ways as mentioned above
repeat

Old 02-06-2016, 08:34 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
RalphP, just out of curiousity, have you had or heard experience with the ball joints in 4WD Daks? I'm wondering if they are just as challenging.
Same ball joints according to the cross ref charts for the upper, so yah, I'd bet just the same. Maybe more - I'd expect a 4x4 to have more pure crap loaded up on the control arms *grins*

RwP

Quick Reply: 1995 Dodge Dakota - GD Upper Ball Joint Won't Budge