1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Oil Filter Bone Dry 1993 Dakota 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012 | 05:37 PM
MDThomas26
|
Rookie
Default Oil Filter Bone Dry 1993 Dakota 5.2

I dropped the oil out of my son's Dakota last night and when I pulled the filter off not a drop came out of it even when I turned it upside down. Anyone ever seen that before? I have not. Any ideas on what that could be leading up to or is a sign of?

Thanks as always!!

Old 07-09-2012 | 08:03 AM
JR318
Veteran

Thats a new one on me lol. Sounds like there maybe some sludge build up blocking the passages. Either way it cant be good. How did the oil look when you changed it was there alot of sludge that came out with it? Whatever you do dont run any kind of motor flush through it cause it will stop up the oil pump screen and you will be installing a new pump and maybe even bearings if it spins a bearing. Id suggest taking it to a shop and see if they have a way to flush the system with a machine. Anyways good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 07-09-2012 | 01:52 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

Sounds to me like the oil filter bypass valve has failed to an open therefore not circulating any oil through the filter. That's really the only thing I could see that could cause that. The valve is designed to open if the oil filter gets too clogged and bypasses it.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Bone Dry 1993 Dakota 5.2