1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012 | 02:39 PM
DanAustin1
|
Default 94 4x4 conversion

Since Im giving this to my little brother I would really like todo 4x4 conversion. I am planning todo a SAS but what transfer case will bolt up to the factory transmission? And any axle ideas so I can keep the factory wheel lug pattern? OR....should I change both the axles to a 90s Jeep I can get both pretty easily so I will know the gears are the same stock in both axles and the lug pattern will change. I havent started measuring yet but assuming the jeep axles will be wide enough. EDIT stock 2wd with 3.9L Automatic transmission.

Old 07-11-2012 | 05:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Yes you can do a SAS to convert it to 4wd. You will need tons of cutting tons of welding tons of customizing. If you got the time and the money and the space go for it. You can view my SAS in my signature. As well we got several other SAS threads in the FAQ2 in this section.

Another option to convert it to 4wd is to get another Dakota with the same body style and do a frame swap. That is what I did way before the SAS. The link is in the FAQ2.

What ever you choose make sure you start a thread and post up tons of info and pictures for others.

For a stock style tranfercase would be a NV231 you will need the 4wd transmission as well. As for axle nothing will have the exact bolt pattern. So you can swap both axles to match or just live with 2 different bolt patterns. I have 6x5.5 up front and the stock 6x4.5 out back I don't care to much for tire rotating but for a spare tire I got a wheel spacer/converter to change the bolt pattern so the spare works on both axles.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 07-11-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2012 | 08:33 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

if you have an auto trans you can just swap the tail housings between the 2wd and 4wd transmissions.

heres the link i found. http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...way!!!-writeup

took me forever to find it again.

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 07-11-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2012 | 10:45 PM
DanAustin1
|

Ok thanks to both of yall yeah time space tools/welding equipment funds isnt a problem. I have acess to a full metal shop and the guy that owns it has been like my father for the last couple years out here. Hes a retired fabricator for four wheel parts . I found a jeep with a no motor/trans for 500$ so that will give me the axles/suspension steering if they measure wide enough and then can scrap the body and frame for some cash. Not trying to lift it just mild 4x4 for him to mess around with. I did an sas before on a ranger that was already 4x4 though the only thing really diff here is adding the transfer case.

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:45 PM
DanAustin1
|

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
if you have an auto trans you can just swap the tail housings between the 2wd and 4wd transmissions.

heres the link i found. http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...way!!!-writeup

took me forever to find it again.
Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: 94 4x4 conversion