1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Which way do oil seals face?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 AM
rbhb2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which way do oil seals face?

Hi! I am still trying to figure out why my transfer case input seal and auto trans output seal is leaking. I think I may have installed the oil seals wrong. Which way is the lip supposed to point? Inside, right? With the flat metal housing on the outside? I know this sounds like a dumba$$ question but I am second guessing what I did. My only excuse is that I was doing it with the truck on ramps in last week's hot spell and the heat must have made me delirious!

I am getting ready to pull the transfer case again. Can someone suggest a good quality brand to buy? Thanks, RBH

Old 07-14-2012, 01:46 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

havent seen the auto trans seal so i couldnt give advice without seeing it. my truck is manual trans and likely a different type of seal. the tcase seal should be the same as what i have though. the flat part on the face of the seal goes outside. that way you can tap it in with something. on this photo you can see the flat side goes out. also theres usually a bevel on one end. that generally goes to the inside so its easier to start into the bore http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=aYV2GH7GLBH

Quick Reply: Which way do oil seals face?