1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

very odd stalling question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
91_dakota
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very odd stalling question

hi i have a 1991 3.9l v6 4x4 auto trans, the truck has been having some problems. the asd relay continues to cause the truck to stall randomly while driving, ill just be going down the road and the truck will start to spit and sputter and then die out and wont stay running, just like it is starving for fuel. i have narrowed the problem down to the asd relay, when this happens the relay gets really hot, if i swap it out with the ac fan clutch relay or starter relay it will start right up and run fine, ive tried buying a new relay but it still does the same thing. this happens at random times, its went without stalling for over a month and sometimes it does it multiple times a day please help

Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
91_dakota
Amateur

maybe to be a little more direct, umm what does the asd relay do? what can make it get hot? does it have anything to do with like fuel pump shut off or anything like that? any suggestions on where to start looking will help,

thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The ASD is what give the power to the coil and injectors, while the PCM controls the negative to those circuits. The ASD relay is activated by the PCM every time the engine is running ect. The name kinda those people off, it is called ASD since once the key is off the power to those circuits gets turned off.

If it is getting to hot it is possible the power feed into the relay is restricted.

If you think it is acting like it is starving for fuel, test your fuel pressure and volume.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 PM
91_dakota
Amateur

Ok thanks I'll see what my fuel pressure is when it is acting up

Quick Reply: very odd stalling question