1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tranny fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny fluid question

So I was reading through the FAQ about the tranny fluid and it says to use only ATF +3 or ATF +4. Now my thing is, when I did the tranny fluid and filter change on the weekend, I dumped Mobile 1 ATF D/M into the tranny. What are the consequences if I continue to use this?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 PM
bran1har
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible that the transmision could slip or shift hard. I wouldn't be surprised if you did experience that. If you experience any of that, then go ahead and change it. I've heard chrysler transmissions are finicky with the trans fluid.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:32 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bran1har
It is possible that the transmision could slip or shift hard. I wouldn't be surprised if you did experience that. If you experience any of that, then go ahead and change it. I've heard chrysler transmissions are finicky with the trans fluid.
Its not slipping, nor is it shifting hard (aside from the usual hard shift from park to any drive gear, but it did this before..). Nothing any different than before. If anything it's shifting better, but that would be because of the new filter. I'm also pretty sure the overdrive solenoid is gone, which also has the lock up solenoid on it, so that could be why it's hard into the drive gears when I shift from park

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid question