1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

loud crunch!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:44 PM
adrenalinejunki
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud crunch!

ok guys i have been tryin to figure out where the sound is coming from but i am stumped. My truck makes a loud and hard crunch sound from the drive train from time to time. last nite it did it when i put my truck in reverse and backed out of my driveway. i made it 20 feet in reverse with no problem and as soon as i turned the wheel to the left and tapped the gas pedal it made a loud crunch as if something wasnt fully locked it. my neighbor even asked what that sound was so you know it had to have been loud. i thought about u-joints but not sure, any ideas? i am worried about driving the truck cause im scared its the transfer case and i dont wanna blow it up...

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 08-29-2012, 07:38 PM
kahanabob
Captain

tranny' is it stick or automatic?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
adrenalinejunki
Rookie

trans is auto, it sounds like its coming from the front of the truck and after looking around today i found that my front axle has the mechanism to lock the axles together and the vacuum lines are messed up. could it be tryin to lock itself while i amdriving the truck??? one of the small thin lines is broken and the main lin out the top was capped off by previous owner and i dont know exactly where it goes??

Old 08-30-2012, 04:33 PM
adrenalinejunki
Rookie

Another Update: i went for a drive this afternoon and was at a light turning left, after making the turn the truck started making the clunking noise, did it 3 times. its definitely coming from the front of the truck because there is no hesitation when it happens and no studder, just a metal on metal sound in the front of the truck...

ANY IDEAS PLEASE HELP !!!!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Pick up the tire with a jack get under and start moving/shacking things around to see what has play. Move the tire up and down, side to side back and forth, same with the steering wheel and steering shaft and all the steering components.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM
jc2168021680

I have the same thing. This happened twice before on the same axle. Turned out to be the wheel bearing as evidenced by a leaning wheel and bearing dust and shavings. I'm pretty sure it's the universal joint doing it this time. It will go away and come back if i shift into 4x4. Only happens when turning kinda sharp.

Quick Reply: loud crunch!