1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1989 Dakota V6 runs then bogs down. Start it up and it runs again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

could be the timing being that far off or could actually be that coolant temp sensor..... it uses engine temp to gauge amount of advance needed

Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

as far as timing goes there's an indicator cast into the timing cover on driver side that goes from 10-0-10 before-TDC-after and a 1/8" groove across the damper that you gotta line up the right timing mark with while engine runs at idle with that sensor unplugged if I weren't several states away from you (Chicago area here) I'd come by and help ya out.....

definitely sounds like good progress though as youve eliminated teh codes and have a good tuneup on it as well which it probably needed anyway

Last edited by volaredon; 09-18-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Bill Schroeder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I unplug the sensor, the engine runs pretty good. When I plug it back in, the engine doesn't run so well.

The engine is laboring pretty badly. Not running as well as it was before at all, but I can tell some improvement already.

They have a sensor at Advance Auto for about 11 bucks, I think I'll grab one and give it shot, too.

Man, if this is progress, I'll eat my hat.

And yeah, if you were nearby and stopped over, we'd grill us some burgers and make a time of it for sure. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Bill Schroeder

Father in law ordered a computer, so it's in transit.
So, thanks to his generosity I'll be putting a new computer in.
Anything I need to know "procedurally" about this?
Plug and play, or do I need to do anything in particular or than disconnect the batter before doing anything?

Old 09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

glad he's got $ to burn on your truck; yeah basically unhook battery, remove 5/16 screw in middle of connector on computer as you unhook plug, unbolt computer, reverse;
did you ever replace that coolant sensor and/or re set the timing before going to that "extreme" (replacing the computer)? I'd of hit the local JYs before spending the money on a new or reman computer

Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Bill Schroeder

Already paid for. So it got here, didn't make much difference. Still does okay til it warms up, then dies. Got the sensor this morning, and will go put it on when the coffee kicks in.

And why is it that after a day or two I have to log in here and my password does not work? I've had to reset it several times so far.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Schroeder
When I unplug the sensor, the engine runs pretty good. When I plug it back in, the engine doesn't run so well.
Which sensor? That sounds like it might be your problem.

Originally Posted by Bill Schroeder
Still does okay til it warms up, then dies. Got the sensor this morning, and will go put it on when the coffee kicks in.
Originally Posted by volaredon
could be the timing being that far off or could actually be that coolant temp sensor..... it uses engine temp to gauge amount of advance needed
Agree with the temp sensor since it acts up once warm. As well as possibly the 02 sensor.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Bill Schroeder

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Which sensor? That sounds like it might be your problem.

Agree with the temp sensor since it acts up once warm. As well as possibly the 02 sensor.

The coolant temperature sensor to answer your first question. (which I shall now name CTS). So we bought a new one.
I have it idling now. (found the timing marks way back up under and inside and behind everything, but I now have it timed dead on.)
Interesting thing is, when it idles, it surges. vrrrRRRRrrrrrRRRrrrrrRRRrrrrRRRrrr like that.

Disconnect the CTS, and it idles perfectly.

And for your ending statement, seeing as it idles now, I agree. So would an oh, too? sensor (that's funny right there. Oh, replace that one, too? lol) might be the thing to get now? It's cranking right up, and it's idling pretty well. Okay, I get a backfire once in a while when I rev it up, not sure what's up with that. Anyway, I haven't tried driving it to see if it still bogs down once you get going, but I'm thinking it was the CTS doing that. (the old man's gonna eat crow if it wasn't the computer. or I might not tell him, he's dying of cancer and will be moving in with us in a week to finish ... life, I guess.)

Anyway, this is where I stand right now.

To O2, or not to O2, that is the question...

*edit

wow, that's around 60 bucks. I wonder what that bad boy resides, and why didn't it show up in the codes?

*edit

So okay, as stated, it idles roughly with the CTS attached, and
it
won't
rev
up.

It just totally bogs down.

Disconnect the CTS and it revs like a champ, and idles smoothly.

So I drove it with the CTS disconnected.

Got less than a quarter mile from the house, and I'm back to square one. It bogs on acceleration, but if I put it in neutral and let it die, then start it back up, it runs well for just a short time then bogs down again. By bog down, I mean there's no way you can rev it up, and you can't actually accelerate.

O2 sensor? I can get one for not a lot of money seeing as I still have a 45 dollar core charge to pick up at the parts store for the old computer. AND there's only one O2 sensor on this truck, right?

Last edited by Bill Schroeder; 09-22-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: found out more stuff and didn't want to spam a new post on this thread.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Bill Schroeder

Got an o2 sensor. Be putting it on tomorrow. Hope that's all it is.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Bill Schroeder

Dang. No difference. I did, however pull the vacuum line from the MAP sensor and the engine ran great. Running out of patience and options here.

Quick Reply: 1989 Dakota V6 runs then bogs down. Start it up and it runs again.