1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How much should I ask for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 AM
ngtyler1s
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should I ask for my truck?

Hey guys, I am 90% likely regrettably making the decision to scrap or sell my dakota. I just went through putting a new timing cover on it and in the process I must have damaged the oil pan gasket. It leaks about a 1/4 of a quart a day now. The passenger side motor mount I replaced a year ago is completely shot again. The drivers side mount would need replacing too. The passenger side cv axle would need replacing. and to top it off, it needs a new frame. The body shop said the one spot of bad rot cannot be fixed. It has 238,000 miles on the original 3.9l v6 (its a little tired and probably would need a valve job) but runs good and burns absolutely no oil. The oil level never went down on the dipstick in between changes until now. Good transmission, transfer case, differentials. 30% on tires. Almost immaculate interior. Not a single rip and headliner was new 3 years ago, good straight body (except bed has rust through on the wheel wells behind the trim). I will not deal with parting this truck out, I don't want it sitting around. How much would be a fair price to ask for it? I know someones gotta at least want it for the interior. If it creates interest on here, Ill get a photobucket account and add pictures.

Last edited by ngtyler1s; 10-04-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine with 160k, decent condition, runs great, needed nothing for $1400. I'd say yours is worth about scrap value, maybe a little more. $3-600
Btw, I'd go to another shop, nothing "cannot be repaired" it depends on skill, time, and money. Someone can fix what you've got I'm sure. If you lived around here I know someone who could do a good but not pretty repair, cheap.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

Thats what I was figuring. but yes it does need a new frame. Its starting to rot out symmetrically in the same spot on the other side as well. Its right in the boxed part behind the front wheels where the jack point is. Last time I jacked it up, the frame started crunching and bending in the bad spot. I hate to let this truck go as i've put so much work into it but I can't see spending the money on a frame swap for something with so many miles and issues.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy another and make this your parts truck?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

maybe if I come across another nice lower mileage 1st gen dakota. but most of them around here are in terrible shape and look ten times worse than mine lol. They're getting pretty scarce around here.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 PM
SEPA92Dakota
Professional

I'd say it's time to bid it farewell and look for a second gen, that's what I'm starting to do now since the first gens around here usually need more body work than they're worth. Whatever the scrap/junkyard will pay for it is probably what it's worth. Could always part it out too, I'm sure someone on here could use some interior parts.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

Would anyone be interested in the camper shell at least? Its a black fiberglass leer shell with a liner and a front sliding window. The liner has a couple stains and there is a couple deep scratches on the back left side but overall nice condition. It works for both first and second gen standard beds. I'd want $200 for it.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

yup if you were closer

Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 PM
GreenDak22
Professional

I was in the same situation with my 1st gen Dakota. Put so much time and money into but it just wasn't worth keeping, especially after the motor sh** the bed. Unfortunately, these trucks just aren't too desirable except to a select group of people and people won't pay much for them. I had mine for sale for 900 trying to make a quick sale; had no luck. After a month and half, I finally was able to sell it for only 500.
Hopefully you have better luck and can get a decent price for it.
The worst you can do is price it high for a week, see how the feedback is then eventually start dropping the price accordingly

Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

The main local salvage yard offered me $175 for the truck. That's insane. I think I could get more money metal scrapping it

Quick Reply: How much should I ask for my truck?