1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

output shaft seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:42 PM
adrenalinejunki
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default output shaft seals

for some reason on my truck there is 2 output shaft seals like the previous owner forgot to take the old one off when reinstalling the drive shaft. its ok to remover the second one right cause its only sitting on there taking up space cause they are literally back to back

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it is 2 then its is okay to remove it and replace it with one. But some seals are made with 2 sealing lips.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM
adrenalinejunki
Rookie

yeah it was 2 complete seals, like i said i think they previous owner took the drive shaft off and then replaced the seal and forgot that the old one was on when he put it back together. i wish i had someone that could figure out this clunk noise !! Yesterday it was doing it and i went to pull out of a parking lot and i thought i dropped my trans cause it hit so hard.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrenalinejunki
yeah it was 2 complete seals, like i said i think they previous owner took the drive shaft off and then replaced the seal and forgot that the old one was on when he put it back together. i wish i had someone that could figure out this clunk noise !! Yesterday it was doing it and i went to pull out of a parking lot and i thought i dropped my trans cause it hit so hard.
I've got a similar clunk, however mine is only when turning in reverse. I've somewhat narrowed it down to something in the brakes, or, just thinking about it, maybe even a loose or bad wheel bearing ring. I gotta tear into mine to find out exactly what it is, but i don't have the time lately..

Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM
adrenalinejunki
Rookie

I've got a similar clunk, however mine is only when turning in reverse. I've somewhat narrowed it down to something in the brakes, or, just thinking about it, maybe even a loose or bad wheel bearing ring. I gotta tear into mine to find out exactly what it is, but i don't have the time lately.. [/quote]

okay, today i put it on the lift at work and no clunking sound at all which doesnt mean a whole lot cause with the wheels spinning there is no load on the drivetrain. i put it back on the ground and drove around the lot and once again it was clunking. my coworker said to remove the half shaft and drive shaft and take it around to see if the clunk is still there. i am dont wanna do it because i have read posts that said you cannot remove the shaft and drive the vehicle because the wheels will fall of which i dont understand because nothin holds the wheels on other than the hub assembly. the half shaft is not load bearing. i am stuck right now, if i take the diff cover off how do you check if you have 2 much play in your gears? i dont have the money to goto a shop and i need to figure this out immediately. please help

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Quick Reply: output shaft seals