1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM
dirtydan2727
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help

i have a 93 dakota 4x4 3.9 i recently bought it ran fine up until a few days ago i thought i ran it outta gas cuz it was spitting n sputtering when giving it gas in gear i put gas in n did the same thing so i did a complete tune up took it for a ride n did the same i then changed fuel filter thinking it got clogged wit dirt it ran the same until it finally cleared up a hour into driving it the next day i went to get gas it ran fine there shut it off started right back up went to head home my junk in the bed was rolling all around stop at a store tighed it down left the truck running when got back into truck put it in reverse n it stalled out put it back in park tried refiring it wouldnt start cranked over didnt seem to get any fuel opened hood released pressure from valve tried starting again took a few cranks started up n idealed fine put it in drive n wanted to stall gave it gas n seemed fine got to my street took the corner n it died tried releasing pressure again n did nothing had to hold gas to floor to get it to start put it in reverse or drive n stalls out..got it to my house so far im put a new fuel pump the fuel filter a new ideal air control vaulve whole throttle body from bone yard checked all vaccum lines can see n does the same thing u gonaa hold the pedal to the floor to get it to start n have to race it n mess around to have it ideal but once u give it gas it dies or put it in reverse or drive stalls out n dies..I am in serious need of help im a mopar fan n bought the truck to save it from the scrap yard but its got me puzzled n am just ready to give up n send it on its way so anyones help would be very much appreicated if u think u kno what would do this thank you

Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Dakotaboy87
Professional

First off, does it show any codes? Secondly, try the IAC, this located on the throttle body. Clean it or replace it if needed, if that's the prob, it should clear alot of the troubles up.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Dakotaboy87
Professional

Also check and see if the notorious splice is bad.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:47 PM
dirtydan2727

I replaced the IAC wit no difference n to my knowledge there r no codes no check engine light

Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not all codes will trip the Check Engine Light. There is an easy way to check them. Check the FAQ in this section for a how to and a list of the codes. Also did you check to see if your getting correct fuel pressure? Did you change the fuel pressure regulator?

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 11-08-2012 at 02:08 AM.