1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

weird problem shortly after cold start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 04:19 AM
raywith76elsi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progress is Slow

MY progress has been slow due to being gone for the holidays and now again, for work. The EGR valve is next on my list unless the fuel injector cleaner in my current tank full provides me with a miracle. If the EGR does not fix the problem and no new codes appear, I will circle back around to the engine coolant sensor. Unless, someone knows of a more likely cause...

Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 AM
neilmck
Default Weird problem shortly after cold start

My mechanic solved my problem after many, many tests of all of the things that you (and I) have tested or replaced.

The gasket on both sides of the manifold cross over was blown and leaking vaccum pressure into the engine. This was causing water (condensation) to enter the ERG valve. We planed the manifold and installed new gaskets. Problem solved (I hope).

Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 PM
raywith76elsi

Well, its been a while since my last post but there was nothing new to report. Just finished replacing the "real" engine coolant sensor (2 wire model) and the thermostat since its housing had to be removed to get at the sensor. Really thought that might be the cause but no luck; after approximately 5 minutes of nice idle, the engine started to stumble again. Let it warm up for 15 minutes and then it ran great. The only error code remaining deals with the EGR valve. I have replaced the control unit with a junk yard piece but no luck, will have to pull the manifold mounted actuator and replace the entire unit with a new one. After that, I am out of ideas.

To recap, the following have been replaced or tried: the engine coolant sensors (both), ignition coil, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, EGR control (1/2 of system), computer, and a big bottle of injector cleaner (a friend's recommendation).

Old 03-03-2013, 01:50 PM
neilmck

Thanks to all of you that offered suggestions over the past 3 months. To those that have similar problems with rough idle & running incl misfires after decent start with cold weather seeming to be the factor, I finally (really) solved my problem (89 Dodge B250 van). After cleaning them, I popped in two fuel injectors that I took from a wrecker - it could not be simpler - literally 5 minutes - and problem solved. I haven't had a misfire since. Have driven well over 1,000 kms in some really cold (-20C) weather.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:07 PM
raywith76elsi

Hello to all, hope you are enjoying Spring Break. Well, I finally got around to changing out the entire EGR valve. Everyone said this would be difficult but mine came out without any problems. Bought a new unit made by Delphi and it was fine but one of the new bolts that came with it had some buggered threads. When I felt it tighten up much too early, I pulled it back out and replaced the one bad bolt with an original. The new EGR valve was in place inside of 20 minutes. The truck just keeps running better and I really thought the problem was finally gone but no luck! Same issue: it starts and idles real nice, within 5 minutes the idle is rough as the engine stumbles often, after 20 minutes of warm up, the engine runs great and you can drive it anywhere. Well, there are no more codes to work on from the PCM, the EGR was the last.

To recap: new plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil, both coolant sensors, oxygen sensor, PCM, EGR valve, and still working through the fuel injector cleaner.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any additional tests that could be performed by a home mechanic?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
wes00durango

have you checked the exhaust being clogged? if the egr is activating at wrong time it can stall truck out at idle. ive seen valley pan gaskets leak and cause it to run rich

Quick Reply: weird problem shortly after cold start