1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 Dual Shock Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 AM
docgeorge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Dual Shock Help

Hola dodgeforum.com.
I have a 1988 Dakota that I use as a work truck and I wanted to make it more functional.

The stock front single shock leaves much to be desired and I am not spending the money to swap to a coil spring setup.

I managed to find this write up:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...shock-kit.html

Since TrailMaster has been bought out it has, thus far, to even find a part number.

My question is this:
Anybody out there have a dual shock setup, know where to find a dual shock setup or even better want to sell me a dual shock setup?

thanks in advance

Old 12-16-2012, 04:57 PM
inuchan187
Professional

You could try calling trailmaster and see what they say. You would be very lucky to find a used setup for sale.

People have found the trailmaster kits on dakotas at the junkyard before. If you search every junkyard within 50 miles of you, there is a slim chance that you might find one. You have a much better chance at finding one than winning the lottery.

Last option is to build it yourself. The bottom bracket is just a bent piece of 1/4" steel with 3 holes in it and some longer bolts for the sway bar mount. You might be able to find an upper shock mount for another truck that will fit or you could also make it yourself.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh okay I see why you thought I had the shocks. That actually wasn't my truck. I can't remember, but I think I found those pictures online. The rear setup is from. http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/modifications.html

The trailmaster site has an email address you can ask them for the kit.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 PM
docgeorge

I didn't think it was your truck in either post but hopefully on the off chance you knew of where to find one. btw thank you for the quick responses

Trailmaster no longer exists. The email comes back as undeliverable and their products aren't even listed on their parent companies websites.

i think I may be forced to go option 3 and find a way to make one. I am not mechanically inclined beyond basic tune ups and bolt ons but I think I might be able to pick up the parts and have a shop weld them to the frame. I would be lucky to find decent brackets that could be bolted on.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya they should be able to make some brackets easy.

When I had stock setup I made my own brackets for dual shocks, it was just an experiment and definitely not the best setup. I eventually killed the 2nd set of shocks by the steering knuckle crashing into it. It is in the FAQ2 I if you want ideas.

Quick Reply: 1988 Dual Shock Help