1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Weird clunk/grind in drivetrain/brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM
nemesis158
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird clunk/grind in drivetrain/brakes

Last couple of days ive noticed a wierd noise/feeling in my truck.
I'll be driving down the road and I'll hear this intermittent clunk/grinding noise.
i can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and clutch/gas pedal while its happening, but if I'm on the brakes when it happens, i feel a large amount of push-back on the brake pedal.

Im assuming this could be some sort of drivetrain/brake issue. it only started the other day after using 4WD, but it does it in 4WD and 2WD. I have notice that sometimes the 4WD will stay engaged after ive disengaged it, but it still seems to be working properly. My brakes are still working and I checked the fluid levels, and haven't found anything so far.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking about getting my brakes checked on saturday.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 PM
adrenalinejunki
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a clunking sound for the past couple months but last nite i rebuilt my Transfer case which is a NP231 and now the clunking sound is gone. costed me about $225 but i replace my vacuum switch and a bunch of other parts prior to this but i found alot of slack in the chain and decided that was the cause. so far about 150 miles after the rebuild and no clunk....

Old 12-21-2012, 12:49 AM
inuchan187
Professional

get all 4 tires off the ground, put the trans in neutral, transfer case in 4wd, turn a wheel black and forth and have someone look for how much one driveshaft is turning before the other one does. If it turns any more than very slightly, the chain in the transfer case is worn and should be replaced ASAP. Driving around too long on a sloppy chain will wear a hole straight through the case.

I'm not sure if the 93s have a central axle disconnect. If they do, take off a vacuum hose on the front axle and spray some WD-40 into the hole. Move it in and out of 4wd a couple times with the engine running and it should stop 4wd from not disengaging.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 AM
nemesis158
Professional

loose t-case chain wouldn't explain the brake pedal pushing back
also the sound doesnt seem to originate from the tranny/tcase area, but rather the left front wheel.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM
cd36
Professional

Your best start is to jack up the left front wheel and pull the tire, and give it a good inspection all around, rotors, caliper, pads, CV's, everything. If the noise is coming from there, its a good place to start looking.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

^This
Pull it apart, start looking around and see if there is anything obviously broken. Could be a broken caliper pin or something stupid like that.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 PM
nemesis158
Professional

Turns out the tensioner assembly in my rear left brake had fallen apart, and the tensioner arm was flying around inside the brake drum.
I also need to replace my front brakes.

Quick Reply: Weird clunk/grind in drivetrain/brakes