1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear diff bearing sets

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 PM
cd36
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff bearing sets

So my rear pinion bearing is making some noise, and I figured while in there that maybe I should just get a complete bearing set for the rear diff and replace all the bearings. Usually I stick with SKF or Timken bearings, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with USA Gear or National bearings?

Also, since I just want to replace the bearings I should be fine with just a "Bearing Kit", and won't need a "Master Kit" will I? from what I can tell a "Bearing Kit" has everything I need to do just the bearings.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you replace all the bearings, you'll need to check the setup on your gears again (backlash, pinion depth, etc.). There's a pretty good chance it will turn out fine without changing any pinion shims or anything, but you can't assume it.

Which rear end do you have? The 8.25" and 9.25" use threaded adjusting collars instead of shims to adjust backlash and carrier bearing preload, which makes it pretty nice (assuming you have the special tool to turn the adjuster nuts).

As for a "bearing kit" vs. "master kit", you shouldn't need all the pinion shims in the master kit or the ring gear bolts (if it comes with them), but you will need a new crush sleeve for the pinion bearings, so make sure that's included with whichever kit you buy.

Last edited by Tom A; 12-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear diff bearing sets