1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

88 4x4 Bushing Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM
docgeorge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 4x4 Bushing Help!

Ok...I have an 88 Dakota with 23x,xxx miles. Among other things the suspension is shot and I am in the process of swapping everything out. The ball joints fell apart after I pressed them out. Tie rod ends were shot. Long story short it is getting some much needed TLC.

On to my problem. I am having an issue with the upper control arm bushings. I am using the Energy Suspension set fyi. I heated out one side but the inner sleeve appears to be part of the center bar. I am holding off on heating off the other side because the bushing is the only thing keeping the center bar aligned.

My questions are the sleeves replaceable or do I just press the bushing in over the original sleeve? For pressing in the bushing I am planning on pick up a 3 arm puller to attach to the lip on the control arm but I don't know where to find a sleeve the right size. Anybody have a better idea or know where I can pick up sleeves that would fit a bushing.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No, the inner sleeve will come off but may require some convincing.
It's been several years since I replaced my upper control arm bushings, but I think I ended up taking the control arms to a shop to get the pivot bolt [the thing the bushing fit over] removed and reinstalled. (I had bent a control arm attempting to remove the pivot bolt and didn't feel like screwing it up again)

Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to use a 12 ton shop press to get mine out. had to press that bar out and the bushings partially went with. took about 3 hours for me to change one side sadly.

Quick Reply: 88 4x4 Bushing Help!