1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

High idle, 96 Dakota, 5sp, 4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 AM
96dakotaowner
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle, 96 Dakota, 5sp, 4cyl

Hi all back again. Still fighting the high idle. Quick snap. Once my Dak warms up, it begins to idle high. Temp gauge in dash was not working, thought it might be the problem. Replaced the temp sending unit, gauge works, still idles high after warmup and driving. I cleaned the throttle body, no help. I swapped the idle position sensor (note, from a junkyard vehicle). I have 240k on her, so she is past her prime, but still great oil pres. Is there anything else that may cause this problem? I know, parts from a junkyard are not reliable. Is there any vacuum lines on this vehicle? I have the manu users manual from this site, but I can't find anything that refers to vacuum lines. Oh, one more odd thing. I am getting oil splash back on the air filter from the valve cover breather line, is this an indication of anything (not a lot, just enough to stain the corner of the filter).
Lesson learned: The temp sending unit is at the back of the valve cover and controls the dash gauge. Remove the sensor when you go to purchase a replacement. You will have a very hard time finding this sensor on the autoparts web site. Initially, they gave me the wrong one, had to remove it and take it in to them to view. Cheap, only about $8. Thank you!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

Most autoparts stores call those a temperature switch for future reference. Some oil I think is normal, but just for giggles check your PCV valve and make sure you can hear it rattle when you shake it. Yes there are vacuum lines on these trucks, you can usually hear a vacuum leak when the engine is running with the hood open (if the truck is fairly quiet)... but you can also just trace all the small black rubber hoses you can find and check for cracks in them.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 AM
96dakotaowner
Amateur
Default High idle

The 96 Dak 4 cyl doesn't have a PCV valve (I know, kind of blew my mind). I was trying to find the root of the high idle problem (giving all symptoms). Trying to save money on purchasing the IAC or IPS. Hopefully someone on here had something like this in the past and can lead me to the correct part. Thank you for the reply.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

Oh didn't know that, good to know though. I have honestly never even looked at a 4 cyl dakota, never knew anyone with one that I could get a close look at.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 PM
96dakotaowner
Amateur
Default Sharing my solution

All,

As always, thanks for the input. I decided to start (cheapest) with the manifold gasket, before I moved on to sensors and modules. As I started to remove the manifold, I noticed one of the bolts was only hand tight. I tightened the bolt, installed the bolts I removed (no gasket added). Took it for a test drive and she purred like a kitten. Just an FYI, before you start changing expensive items, check the basics!!!!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: High idle, 96 Dakota, 5sp, 4cyl