1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

The more I learn the more I know less?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Old Toad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The more I learn the more I know less?

So for the past six weeks I have been attempting to get my 92 dakota to run well. I have learned about the TPS and the ICU and the MAP and the PCM... WTF???

And as I fix one thing the next seem to be at fault and then I go on and throw more money at it and hope that it will work. The last set of codes says that I need a new PCM so I have one sent in from a wrecker. They say it is good and will last 90 days. I sure hope so.

And I own the truck so I have to fix it so it will be OK for the next little while or maybe I can sell it and get my money out?

Oh well. Here we go again.

Mike T

Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

hopefully it will last more thn 90 days that is probably the warranty period. What engine is in there?
Once you get the issue solved, you should get your money out of it the best way possible; DRIVE IT!

ICU that is part of the PCM on that truck...

mind filling us in on the problems? I doubt all of that stuff was bad; though I strongly suggest a good thoruogh tuneup cap rotor wires plugs PCV, air filter and gas filter.
Extravagant plugs (+4, platinum iridum etc) are a waste on these they run best on cheap plain old stock Champions
but I would definitely go with a good grade of brass contact cap and rotor and at least mid grade (or better) wires...

Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Old Toad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed a set of wires and a cap and rotor (NAPA), a new TPS when I cleaned the throttle body. I noticed that there was a bit of oil in the intake so I put in a new gasket on a home made aluminum base plate. I have a new idle control unit to put on and a new O2 sensor to install when I get the opportunity. Each time I do a repair the truck runs like a new one on start-up. The second start is where the problems show up. I have also put a new PCV valve in.
I am now wondering if the MAP sensor is OK?
The truck has a 3.9L V6 with an automatic trans.I believe it has been sitting for some time and I have been cleaning contacts as I go.
Everytime I fix something I read and find that there is something else that could be causing the very same problem that I think I just took care of. It would be helpful to have an interpretation sheet to go along with the codes. Many of the issues cause the same problem and are effected by various parts of the system.
I am a mechanic and but do not work at mechanics. I have been reading the codes by turning the ignition switch on/off.
I really like the truck and believe it will be fine when I get through the list of issues it has been sharing with me.
Thanks for any help.
Mike T

Quick Reply: The more I learn the more I know less?