1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine Code Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 AM
rjheckman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Code Question

My 1992 Dakota LE 5.2 V8 is throwing a code. The ABS & park brake light are on. I cycled the ignition to get the code and here's what I saw: check engine light flashed 5 times, paused, then 5 times again. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what it all means and what I gotta do to get it right again? Thanks a million Rob

Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM
cd36
Professional

Good news, bad news time.

The bad news is that the key cycle trick isn't going to show you any ABS/Brake codes, it will only show you engine/emissions related codes.

The good news is, code 55 is just end of codes, so if you are only getting it, you have no engine issues throwing a code .

To be honest I'm really not sure if there is a way to pull ABS codes on these trucks, someone else can probably chime in on that one. Do you have RWABS or four wheel ABS on your truck?

Check the service manuals in the FAQ, and go to the Brakes section, there should be some troubleshooting tips in there for it.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:06 PM
rjheckman

I have disc brakes in front and drum brakes in the rear so I'm assuming it RWABS. I'll look through FAQ's some more and start checking wiring and fuses after lunch and before I get too deep into a case of Anheuser Busch product...lol

Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 AM
moparnut38
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjheckman
My 1992 Dakota LE 5.2 V8 is throwing a code. The ABS & park brake light are on. I cycled the ignition to get the code and here's what I saw: check engine light flashed 5 times, paused, then 5 times again. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what it all means and what I gotta do to get it right again? Thanks a million Rob

The problem you have you will not find it doing the key trick. What you have is a problem with the abs sensor and that is located at the rear end on top of the carrier for the gears for the rear end. All these Dakotas have just that one sensor at the rear and none on the front wheels. I am almost 100% sure it is the sensor that is bad. The wireing unplugs from it and it is bolted to the rear end so just undo the bolt and plug and it should come right out. You might have to twist it back and forth to get it to come out but just dont brake it off. replace it and everything should work just fine.

I had this problem with my 1991 and now no warning lights and they work like they are supposed too.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:55 AM
cd36
Professional

Originally Posted by moparnut38
The problem you have you will not find it doing the key trick. What you have is a problem with the abs sensor and that is located at the rear end on top of the carrier for the gears for the rear end. All these Dakotas have just that one sensor at the rear and none on the front wheels. I am almost 100% sure it is the sensor that is bad. The wireing unplugs from it and it is bolted to the rear end so just undo the bolt and plug and it should come right out. You might have to twist it back and forth to get it to come out but just dont brake it off. replace it and everything should work just fine.

I had this problem with my 1991 and now no warning lights and they work like they are supposed too.
While you most likely are correct two things:

These trucks did come with 4 wheel ABS. I'm not sure what years, but it is a possibility.

It could be the sensor, wires, or ABS module. While it is a very good chance it is the sensor, I've had ABS Modules fail and throw a light on other vehicles.

I don't usually recommend the throw parts at it approach, so that's why I say to go by the diagnostic procedure in the service manual. The sensor is probably cheap though, and most likely the cause, so it may be worth it to the OP to just try that.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
rjheckman
Cool

Well as luck would have it, I found a blown 10 amp fuse under the dash...replaced it and the ABS & park brake lights are out on the instrument cluster. I guess the next issue is why did the fuse blow? I may still need to find that ABS sensor and replace that sucker.

Quick Reply: Engine Code Question