1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Door handle or lock problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:10 PM
mstruhs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle or lock problem?

93, 266,000 miles Old ranch truck. The driver door lock does not work. The manual lock on the inside will not go up or down. By the smell, it is a good bet my Dad poured a quart of oil down and probably sprayed at least one can of wd 40 inside trying to make it work. The key turns the lock kind of--it just that nothing happens and it feels nothing is moving. The door latch opens and closes fine. It looks like I can buy a new lock for around $20 dollars and much easier to install than a complete handle. With the handle working I am thinking it may just be the lock. What are your thoughts anyone?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 PM
DakotaRT1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing about working on these doors is "easy" lol. Not that it is complicated, there is just no room and you almost have to work blindly. It sounds like the linkage is probably either rusted badly or it is binding for some reason. Take the door panel off and try to take a look at it before you buy anything.

Quick Reply: Door handle or lock problem?