1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

lookin 4 alittle dakota 3.9 4x4 1993 info

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM
MARLEYM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin 4 alittle dakota 3.9 4x4 1993 info

i would like 2 start by sayin hi 2 all my new dodge homies
i just got a 1993 dakota 4x4 3.9l and was lookin in2 some tender lovin care , this is my first dodge truck and my buddy gave it 2 me . it was 188k+ miles on it and still sounds pretty damn good , im not lookin 2 slam a ton of money it but would like 2 treat it 2 some upgrades that will help the motor out bein that it has 188k on it . iv been readin and readin up on things , so i desided 2 join in on this fourm and c what othe dakota drivers have 2 say .

thank u 4 any info u can give ,

Mike

Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM
matteusclement
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got a 92 that has been beat up pretty bad (towed a 5th wheel).

First thing, buy a Hayne manual. I joked that it doubled the value of my truck.

Next easy thing to do is to clean off sensors. These sensors tell the computer how to mix the fuel. You will get better mileage and more power.
The MAP sensor can be cleaned off with some brake cleaner.
The IAC can be cleaned with carb cleaner and some rags.
The o2 sensor just before the catalytic converter often is dirty and never replaced.
If your coolant sensor is bad, it will cause your truck to burn rich because the computer will think that it's "cold".

New electrical is also a sound investment IE - spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor.

Also, run some fuel injector cleaner for a few tanks (5-10 times). The injectors can be all gummed up.

That's a start. All in, that might set you back about $200 to get it running pretty damn good.

Quick Reply: lookin 4 alittle dakota 3.9 4x4 1993 info