1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

lift problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 PM
95 dakota lifted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift problem

ok i have a 95 v6 2wd i have already flipped the preacher in the back and i went to the junk yard and i got some front coils off an XJ that was lifted 4 inches thinking that wood lift my front end about 5 inched but it only gave me about 1.5 inch of lift in the front and now the springs are sooo tight they have no give at all and they actaully bow out a little.... can i get different spindles and or a arms or should i just run them like that till i put a transfer case in it also does any know which wood be easier run a straight front axle or just leave it indipendent front and just run different spindles and put in half shafts

Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your ball joints are probably screaming in pain right now. I assume the control arms are jammed against the lower (extension) bump stops, correct? This is not a good way to drive your truck. Personally, I would put the stock front springs back in for now.

As far as converting it to 4x4 (sounds like what you plan on doing), a solid front axle is the better (and easier) way to go. Don't try to build an independent suspension.

You can install a 4x4 front axle before a transfer case. Obviously, the truck will still be 2WD, but you'll have most of your conversion done. Probably the best way to do it.

Quick Reply: lift problem