1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission not shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 PM
koolj76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission not shifting?

I bought this truck 2 weeks ago and it ran and drove fine. Its a 93 dodge dakota 5.2 4x4 The transmission was a little slow to shift but at 250k miles I figured that was normal. When i bought it i checked the fluids and the fluid was as clean as a new cars. I asked him if he had it serviced and he said he had the filter and fluid changed because the pan was leaking.

The other day just driving down the road it just jumps out of gear and acts as if it were in neutral. Tried to put it in 2 or 1 and neither did anything. I pulled over threw it in park and then drive and tried again and it went till I was about at 10mph and kicked it out again. It would keep doing this if I let it sit long enough. I had it towed to the house and i don't know much about dodge but when i turned ignition on i didn't even have to put my foot on the brake and it shifted. After inspection underneath I couldn't see anything terribly wrong other than a small leak near the bell housing. Is this the transmission finally going out or am i missing something? It did start to grind once i put it in drive after a few trys.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:17 PM
koolj76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking at the diagnostics check number 3 is "3. U-Joint/Axle/Transfer Case Broken." Just recently I had to fix one of my leaf springs because the add a leafs pin that holds it in got sheared off and twist almost out of the spring. I fixed it put a bolt through it to hold them and put new u-bolts on it. Also just yesterday I threw it in 4 hi during some flooding while I was picking up a 4 wheeler.

Quick Reply: Transmission not shifting?