1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Looks like time for a new muffler guys.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Soundguy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like time for a new muffler guys.

Been hearing an odd, faint noise from the undercarriage lately, only on take-off.

There's something rattling in the muffler. Looks like it's the stocker with the Chrysler badge stamped on it. Truck just turned 160,000 the other day....guess it did it's job.

I'm looking for something economical yet with a good sound...if there is such a thing with a V6. Don't want "loud."

Any ideas?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM
BKCowGod
Professional

Any turbo muffler will work fine for you... I have a Dynomax Ultra Flo. The loudness is determined more by the length of the pipe after the muffler... I have the same exact model muffler on both of my trucks, but one dumps right after the muffler and the other one goes all the way to the back. The difference is pretty significant.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Thanks BK...yeah mine dumps after the rear wheel. I'll check out the Ultra Flo.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a cherry bomb on mine(p.o.'s doing) 1 in 2 out and it sounded great till the muffler rotted out.

you could always go the route the guy who previously owned my ferd did...cheery bomb through the bed and covered it with a chrome stack.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 PM
inuchan187
Professional

"good" sound from a v6 is tough depending on who's opinion you are asking for. from my experience, dual exhaust with an h pipe sounds the best. an x pipe will make your truck sound like a Nissan 350z if you like that sound. leave the cat on or get a very quiet muffler if you don't want loud.
Nothing dumped behind the rear tire on a truck will be loud in the truck, but it is a lot louder back near the exhaust. The more exhaust pipe you have after the muffler will give any exhaust a much deeper tone.

I had no cats, an h pipe, and glasspacks on a v6 camaro and it didn't sound half bad, but it was loud enough to make your ears bleed.

That is basically what it sounded like on my car just a little deeper. With the extra 6 feet of exhaust after the mufflers, it will be a lot deeper and could possibly fool some people into thinking its a v8 at idle.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Thanks guys! The muffler hunt is over. I had my shop put a Magnaflow #11226 on yesterday. RIP OE Dodge stocker muffler....she was a real trooper.

The new one has a nice rumble at idle (for a V6.) Nice growl at takeoff. If I get on it, it sounds a little 'ricey'....not in a bad way though and I usually try to keep my foot out of it. Could be my imagination but, seems like there's a slight increase in performance too. It "feels" better.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Haven't had it on the highway yet. The old muffler was beginning to drone too much for me. So far, in town, I've noticed considerably less drone.

Quick Reply: Looks like time for a new muffler guys.