1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Code 41

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:33 PM
tazlildevil18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 41

I have a 91 Dakote SE with the 5.2L. I read the codes and 41 is whats coming up have looked up and says is a charging issue. have checked battery and alternator both are good. Looks like maybe the battery temperature sensor, can any one tell me where exactly that is, what it looks like and where I might be able to find a new one? Thanks

Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You said they look good, but did you remove each one and take it to a shop to get it tested. Most auto parts stores will test it for free, take it to several as some will give odd results.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
tazlildevil18

Yes battery and alternator have been tested and are good. connector located in area where I can best tell bts would plug in is there but theres nothing attached to it, looks like some one took it out. Am trying to verify that I am looking at the right connection and where I might find a replacement. Got one from Dodge and doesn't fit, or even look like the few pictures I can find.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

My 96 Factory service manual says that the code refers to a generator field switching problem. I guess I'd take the alternator to O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc. and have it bench tested. Says nothing about code 41 in reference to the battery temp sensor (which is located under the battery.) Does give a test procedure for the btc, attach and ohmmeter between the two btc terminals, and measure the ohms. It should be between 9k and 11k ohms. Higher or lower and the sensor should be replaced.

Kind of an obvious question, but is your check engine lite on? Is the charging system working correctly, you can check with a multimeter the voltage at the battery should be 13.8 or higher (but no higher than about 14.5.) Have you disconnected the negative pole on the battery to clear codes? Does the code clear?

If the check engine lite isn't on and the charging system is keeping the battery up, I'd just ignore the code.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 05-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 PM
tazlildevil18

A few answers to questions brought up. Yes the check engine light is on and the charging system is not working correctly. As for the battery sensor its missing . And am having a hell of a time finding a replacement. Trying to figure out if the sensor missing could be causing an alternator that's been tested good to not charge battery. Help greatly appreciated.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by tazlildevil18
A few answers to questions brought up. Yes the check engine light is on and the charging system is not working correctly. As for the battery sensor its missing . And am having a hell of a time finding a replacement. Trying to figure out if the sensor missing could be causing an alternator that's been tested good to not charge battery. Help greatly appreciated.

I don't think so, but maybe. I wonder if you tried putting an 10K ohm resister in that circuit spot if that would "fool" the system into thinking there was a sensor? It is a temperature sensitive resister afterall.

As for finding the proper sensor, I guess I'd be looking in the wrecking yards.

Found this with a parts number and an image (FWIW): http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ssembly=579089

Quick Reply: Code 41