1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota shuts off when slowing down in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 AM
N8ANDK80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dakota shuts off when slowing down in neutral

i'm new to the forum. i have a 93 dodge 5 speed v6, recently started shutting off on me, the first time it happened i was getting of the interstate and put it in neutral instead of downshifting, and braked and it cut off on me, the oil light came on, and it's been doing that ever since. i find when i am going at a steady speed for a bit, it cuts off when i slow down and put it into neutral. the muffler has been bad on it since i got it, so i'm thinking that might be the problem, b/c i saw another post that had the same issue and it turned out to be the muffler. my husband replaced the fuel filter on it, and that didn't help, but it needed it anyway. the iac is fine. also, sometimes when i am in 5th gear, the light comes on signaling me to shift, but i can't shift any higher, it's only a 5 speed. any ideas or suggestions? i am getting a new muffler on Monday 6/10. any help would be appreciated. thank you!!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When it dies does it start right back?
If you know its about to die can you put your foot on the throttle to keep it from dying?

If it doesn't start back up
When it dies and doesn't start up does it have good spark to all plugs?
When it dies and doesn't start up does it does it correct fuel pressure and volume?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM
N8ANDK80

thanks for your response. yes, it starts right back up. i'm usually in motion when it cuts off, slowing to a stop. i just don't know when it's about to die, i have been revving the engine before i come to a stop, and that has helped it, when i keep doing that, it doesn't cut off, but it seems like i'm wasting gas, and it's already a guzzler as it is.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Then most likely it is a bad or dirty IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. Check the FAQ for a how to on cleaning it.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Gravex

I actually just had this happen an hour ago coming home from work. Oil light came on and the truck shut off. Put her in neutral and gave a turn and started right up. 93 5.2 sport with just over 110k on her. Should I check for the same thing or wait a bit?

(Rotor and dist cap recently replaced, marked all cables and I am positive the right firing order) Idles a bit rough the 4-600 range.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM
N8ANDK80

Took out the IAC yesterday to clean it, that thing is torched, looks like it's never been changed, popped the spring on it a couple times and put it back in (can't buy new one til monday) turned the key and baby was idling like normal, once i took off it started acting up once again. So that is the problem, going to get new TPS while I'm at it, so he should be running like new.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by N8ANDK80
Took out the IAC yesterday to clean it, that thing is torched, looks like it's never been changed, popped the spring on it a couple times and put it back in (can't buy new one til monday) turned the key and baby was idling like normal, once i took off it started acting up once again. So that is the problem, going to get new TPS while I'm at it, so he should be running like new.

I would have suggested the TPS, tho good try cleaning the IAC. Have you had the codes pulled? If a new TPS fails to solve the problem, the MAP sensor could be toast. (Google it to get an explanation of its function.)

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota shuts off when slowing down in neutral